Gettin out of the catering business...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
After being repeatedly out-bid on several catering gigs Rhana and I decided to throw in the towel...we refuse to do cheap-ass-bbq!
Good luck all!
JD

I hear you brother. I had a few jobs I quoted and was come back with company XXX can do it for this much. I told them that was great, if you must go with them, go with them. But I can promise the quality will not be there. It is an throat cut market for sure. I'm not in to loose money or break even.

Story of my life JD, as a person who has to propose for most of his jobs, especially since 2001/2, when a lot of offices left the market, I get underbid constantly and by considerable amounts. I don't really understand how it can be, but, it is truth.

The truth is, a ratio of 10 proposals to one job was always good, I bet it is a lot worse now.

Well its no consolation but maybe you can take some orders for hams, turkeys, ect. for the holidays.

Had the same problem with landscaping years ago. Spent the better part of my day doing bids that were most often out bid.
Dave

I don't understand why it is that people feel BBQ should be so cheap. There are caterers charging $30-$40 per head in my area for food that taste worse than Cracker Barrell and people keep them booked up but want BBQ for $7 a head. Sorry that it has to be that way JD

I guess people figure that BBQ is a backyard/informal thing and anybody can do it. These same people are probably used to skanky Q too.. shame.

The thing I have found is that folks will come to you and ask for a price, then wander off muttering, you sometimes get to talk to them later and they complain about the cut rate job, when you tell them you can't expect great service for what they paid, they admit that they knew that, but, thought since they were paying less, they might get less, but, not that much less. You ask them how they could have thought for $5 a head from a taco truck they thought it would compare to $40 a head from a caterer and they will tell you they think it just isn't that hard.

We have become a culture of people that simply over-value what we do and under-value what others do. I continue to be amazed at all the people that tell me that their time is worth hundreds of dollars an hour to them and then complain that paying me $100 an hour is outrageous just to design a garden.

This tread is one of the reasons I ask awhile ago about just renting my rig with the probability of offering myself as cook for hire. Set prices just have to deal with time schedules and no real investment since cooker is payed for and my time, well I can live with that loss if I have to. Also no dickering or at least much less, probably no big last minute changes to deal with or being forced to sneeze a buck, wont make as much but a lot less headache I think.
Dave

The thing I have found is that folks will come to you and ask for a price, then wander off muttering, you sometimes get to talk to them later and they complain about the cut rate job, when you tell them you can't expect great service for what they paid, they admit that they knew that, but, thought since they were paying less, they might get less, but, not that much less. You ask them how they could have thought for $5 a head from a taco truck they thought it would compare to $40 a head from a caterer and they will tell you they think it just isn't that hard.

We have become a culture of people that simply over-value what we do and under-value what others do. I continue to be amazed at all the people that tell me that their time is worth hundreds of dollars an hour to them and then complain that paying me $100 an hour is outrageous just to design a garden.

AMEN BROTHER!!! It has become the American Way. :crazy:

Back