Required Reading

F

Fedaykin

After cooking with smoke, one of my favorite past times is reading. And usually when we here in NJ hit the weather where BBQ season is on the horizon, I start hitting the books to plan out 5-6 months of wonderful, wonderful, BBQ.

So my question to everyone here: What are you reading, and what should be on my shelf?

Right now I'm working through two in particular: Low & Slow, and Peace, Love, and Barbecue. This first is really different from anything else I've ever read: it's not a cookbook so much as it is a teaching tool. It doesn't go over recipes for BBQ. It teaches the art. Can't wait to get started with it, especially since I'm starting with a new SnP this summer- used an UDS before. The second is fantastic- a cookbook secondarily, but first and foremost the story of the author's life growing up, his love for barbecue, and the associated culture and lore of it.

The entirety of the barbecue shelf:

• Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking with Live Fire
  • Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, and Glazes
  • Peace, Love, and Barbecue
  • America's Best BBQ
  • Low & Slow
  • Smoke & Spice
  • Pig: King of the Southern Table
I love all of them and I'd recommend any. Any other suggestions for books to pick up?

Beside Peace,Love and BBQ I would have to go with Smokestack Lightening as a really great read. It reads more of the old school history of bbq and reviews of the old school joints. Fantastic old pictures in it. Great read couldn't put it down.

I skimmed Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbeque" the other day in the book store and was quite impressed....should be for $35....and I'll probably buy it because he seems like he's actually writing about techniques that address particular challenges, ie. brisket bark, rib moistness, etc.

I've got WAY too many bbq cook books already that are more about celebrating the history and culture of 'q rather than giving up much in real bbq technique. Nothing wrong with it, mind you, but you have to wade through lots of old wive's..err..pitmaster's tales in 'em, though...like "always do this and never do that"...stuff that might work in one particular cooker but not another.

If you just want a straight-forward solid cookbook though, get Weber's Charcoal Grilling by Jamie Purvience. That's where I got my quick dry-brine technique for chicken. :thumb:

Our own Dr. BBQ, aka Ray Lampe, has some great books as well that would be solid additions to a BBQ book collection. See them here for details: http://www.drbbq.com/

Big-Time Barbecue
All Year Long
Road Trip
NFL Game Day Cookbook
Ribs, Chops, Steaks & Wings

If you have an interest in and/or an appreciation of Texas BBQ, check out these two :

Legends of Texas BBQ by Robb Walsh
Repuplic of Barbecue, Stories Beyond the Brisket by Elizabeth Engelhart

Paul Kirk's books are solid too especially for beginners and those who want to learn how to make their own rubs & sauces

Dr BBQ's books are very imformative, as are several on your list. Low and Slow by Wiviott does a great job explaining and streesing the importance of a clean burning fire. My favorite is 'Serious BBQ' by Adam Perry Lang. He is a classically trained French chef, so there are lots of ingredients in each recipe, but my Q has improved greatly since learning some of his techniques.

+1 on Serious Barbecue. I've been having a great time making things out of that book. Also the Big Bob Gibson book by Chris Lily as well as Legends of Texas Barbecue.

There's also this really great site on the 'net, can't thing of the name of it right now,:confused: but it has a pointy uppy thing ^ in the upper left corner that is controlling everybody's mind. :heh:

Back