MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #9736
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

PBJ back in stock for those of you who want the smaller one.

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #9737
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
PBJ back in stock for those of you who want the smaller one.
Beat me to it.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #9738
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking back, I realize that I've never used my PBC skewers. This afternoon, I plan to do so. Bought a nice 1.68 lb sirloin and cubed it up. Quartered a couple of small yellow onions and cut up some red, yellow and orange peppers. The meat and veggies are sitting in the fridge in ziplocks, after being tossed in olive oil and Blackstone steakhouse seasoning.

Having never hung skewers in the PBC, I'm pondering over the best way to do so...and am not up to re-reading 650 pages of PBC appreciation. I'm thinking that I wanna go hot n fast, so I am planning to open the intake all the way and using only a Weber full-size chimney of lit coals...no unlit and no wood chunks.
Does this sound about right? TIA
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #9739
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

I've used my skewers once when I was making kabobs. Turned out great. I just left the vents alone and cooked them like I cook everything.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #9740
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I've used my skewers once when I was making kabobs. Turned out great. I just left the vents alone and cooked them like I cook everything.

Do you remember approximately how long it took? I'll basically be looking for probe tender and the 130-135 IT range. The meat cubes are roughly 1.75" squared. Just trying to time it for halftime of the Panthers/49ers game.
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #9741
Fat Jim
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jim

I just pulled the trigger on the Jr and have a few questions if you don't mind? I've done some searching but with this many pages can't find what I'm looking for. I've seen that some use a certain number of briqs to achieve a specific temperature with the pbc, what's the numbers you all are using for the Jr?
I also wanted to ask about doing wings on skewers. I know I saw it somewhere before with pictures just not sure where. Do they come out crispy top to bottom? How many are you really able to do hanging them? Also, how long of a skewer can you use for wings? I've seen that ribs can get as close as a cpl inches of the coals but not sure if wings could as well.

Thank you for any answers, pictures and help any of you can offer.

Weber 26, PBC Jr
Fat Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #9742
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I don't have the Jr but to answer your coal count question. Don't do it. I count my coal for the big PBC and sometimes I wish I never did. Too late for me now but I would just follow the he lighting instructions and sit back let the pbc do it's thing

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #9743
Fat Jim
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
I don't have the Jr but to answer your coal count question. Don't do it. I count my coal for the big PBC and sometimes I wish I never did. Too late for me now but I would just follow the he lighting instructions and sit back let the pbc do it's thing
That's my bad. I should have been more specific on that. I was looking more at the number of coals they lite to get a more exact temp. Not the number the basket is filled with.

Weber 26, PBC Jr

Old 10-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #9744
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jim View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the Jr and have a few questions if you don't mind? I've done some searching but with this many pages can't find what I'm looking for. I've seen that some use a certain number of briqs to achieve a specific temperature with the pbc, what's the numbers you all are using for the Jr?
I also wanted to ask about doing wings on skewers. I know I saw it somewhere before with pictures just not sure where. Do they come out crispy top to bottom? How many are you really able to do hanging them? Also, how long of a skewer can you use for wings? I've seen that ribs can get as close as a cpl inches of the coals but not sure if wings could as well.

Thank you for any answers, pictures and help any of you can offer.
I don’t alter temp by number of lit briqs. I adjust by cracking the lid late in a cook, or by leaving the lid off for an extra minute or two after dumping the lit briqs. Crisp skin? Not really crisp, in my experience. But still very tasty and decent skin. I like PBC wings.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #9745
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jim View Post
That's my bad. I should have been more specific on that. I was looking more at the number of coals they lite to get a more exact temp. Not the number the basket is filled with.
I would recommend just following the basic guide until you understand how it cooks. The keys to having a successful PBC first cook is keeping the lid in and let it work its magic. If you start chasing temps or get in and out of it a lot, you will not have a great first cook. Once you learn it you can certainly adjust the temps it runs out by doing different things (lighting fewer/more coals, tinkering with the intake, etc). It does not take much to get the Junior going, so I would lean toward lighting less instead of more.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #9746
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Bump!
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #9747
Fat Jim
Knows what a fatty is.

Well it's here boy's and girls. Wiped it down yesterday and sprayed the inside with oil. Filled the basket, took about 8-10 out and lit them up. After they were all ashed over spread them on and let it roll. Kinda guessed at what I thought a quarter open would be and musta been pretty close. She got to 280 and stood (within 10 up & down) there for the next 5hrs ish. It was in the 20's so I can't complain.

Cook cooking soon

Weber 26, PBC Jr

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #9748
Fat Jim
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I would say my first cook was a success. I had a 10lb bag of wings i pulled out of the freezer and amazingly enough was able to get all but a quart bag into the Jr. Sure shocked me. I have a feeling if I'd had 2 more skewers I'd have fit the whole bag.
Anyhow, I rubbed them with killer hogs am and some black pepper and let'em go for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Turned out darn good.
Not real sure what the temps were. Battery died about 10minutes in. It was in the 20's and breezy so I did crack the lid a little bit. Not really sure if I needed to but it worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191108_122755.jpg (109.8 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191108_123321.jpg (105.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191108_143236.jpg (65.4 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191108_143338.jpg (97.8 KB, 272 views)

Weber 26, PBC Jr

Old 11-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #9749
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Pit Barrel recommends using 20 lit coals for the Jr.

bwram1, sorry for not getting back to you on your question. I was out of town on vacation. I don't remember how long they took but I don't think more than 30 minutes.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #9750
Fat Jim
Knows what a fatty is.

Had a great thanksgiving. I think the Cornish game hen is the perfect size for just 1 person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1128191554a.jpg (69.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 1128191730.jpg (74.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 1128191604.jpg (51.9 KB, 160 views)

Weber 26, PBC Jr

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it