UDS - Paint Specific Question

S

Smiter Q

Hi all,

This past week I spent quite a few hours reading through the UDS main thread, and the build thread. Very very helpful, and I am much obliged and appreciative for all who have posted helpful tips, hints, directions, photos, and more. You are to all to be commended and applauded!! :clap2::bow:

My question is on paint. I am in the process of getting a drum that was used for a bakery, and it had canola oil in it. It may not have been lined, I will see when I pick it up. Through the posts and threads, I see the directions for doing a burn out of the drum to remove liners and paint, and I understand the reasons why. But, I am pretty sure I have seen some drums posted that have the ORIGINAL paint on them.. and wonder if that is ok too. If my drum is not lined, do I need to burn out as well.. or can I just use the original paint like I have seen some other folks do, or just paint over it.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Smiter, the last three I have built were new unlined drums. I just cleaned the inside with aoutomotive metal prep and did not do anything to the outside paint. All has worked out just fine. Hope it all works out well so keep us posted on what you decide. Good luck bro!

If you're sure what was in it you don't need to burn. In my opinion, getting all of the liner off, is over rated. I never did get it all off the lid of my drum. Ther is now a good seasoned coating over top of it and i see no ill effects. However I did a burn to make sure anything the higher temps could get off...

My drum had a soy product in it. It was not 'lined' but it was painted.... with seriously difficult to remove paint. I tried paint stripper, with no luck. I ended up grinding it off. Inside and out it took 4.5 hours.

I doubt your drum will be raw steel... unless you buy a new one. I would rather have paid $50 for a new, unpainted, raw steel drum.

I prefer to do a high heat burn until all the paint is gone on the outside. Its like the pop up thermometer on a turkey. That's how I know its done.

If you don't do a high heat burn, the paint should stay intact. but I agree with ComputerMike. Most food grade drums are lined.

I bought a new unlined drum. I didn't paint the outside and just rubbed the inside with oil for the first cook. Seems to be holding up fine. I'm a believer in using the new drum versus the worry and work of cleaning a used drum.

The UDS I just built was from a new unlined drum. It has the original black paint on the outside. I sprayed the inside down with Simple Green then scrubbed it out with a scotchbrite pad, bucket of hot water and laundry detergent. Gave it a good rinse with the hose and sprayed the inside with a can of vegatable oil cooking spray and then lit a grate of coals for a seasoning burn in. If your drum is unlined no need to do a burn out, especially because it had canola oil in it.

Thanks for the tips and thoughts.
Had an email back, and now thinking the drum
may be lined. Would SANDBLASTING from
a hired shop clean out the liner too?

Thank you

Back