Has anyone ever smoked a chub

jacob

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
By chub I mean Bolonga. I'm serious here guys. I love it fried black as night. So I was just wandering how it might be smoked.

I have even fried it, layed it out on a baking sheet then add a scoop of fresh mashed taters then lay a piece of cheese over the top. Place in oven until cheese is melted and starts to brown.

Some good eating for sure.

Never have but they serve a bunch of it at the State Fair of Texas.

It's actually a fairly common thing from what I've read on the net, pretty much going for the same technique as a fatty. Haven't tried it myself (yet), let us know how it turns out!

Chub

Yes I've smoked bologna and fry it after its smoked, good stuff maynard, fry a egg until the yolk is semi hard put it on a piece of good white bread and bologna and some swiss with a touch of mayo. man o man!! we need a drooling icon!!

When I fire up the smoker next weekend I'm gonna try one. For tommorow I am working on a inside meal. Baked ham, Seasoned boil cabbage, Develied eggs, chicken and dressing, mac and cheese, green beans and two pumpkin pies for desert.

I have a picture somewhere of a chubb I smoked about 6 months ago. Just score the top with a knife, not to deep, but enough to help the smoke penetrate. spray with some apple juice and then apply a rub of your choice and then smoke. I smoke mine for about 2-3 hours spraying with apple juice every 30-45 minutes.

FRIED BOLOGNA and Cheese sandwiches! Good grinds! I wish I could find this "chub" here in Hawaii.

I have a picture somewhere of a chubb I smoked about 6 months ago. Just score the top with a knife, not to deep, but enough to help the smoke penetrate. spray with some apple juice and then apply a rub of your choice and then smoke. I smoke mine for about 2-3 hours spraying with apple juice every 30-45 minutes.
Oh,yeah! At home (TX) we call it Redneck Caviar.

I smoked one a couple of weeks ago. I smoked it at 250* for 4 hrs. I was disappointed as it didn't have much of a smoke ring, and didn't have much of a smoked taste. And before anyone asks, I did take it out of the wrapper. :-D

I have done one. I smoked for about 3 or 4 hours. Didn't have much smoke flavor taste right out of the smoker but the longer it sat the better it got. After about 2 days it was great tasting.

I'll go to the grocery store and buy "deli" bologna. not to be confused with cheap brands. Deli style is a dryer more pourus bologna with out a greasy skin. It will absorb all the smoke that you can give it.

I've heard of people cutting a core out of them and putting BBQ sauce in the core, then plugging it back up. They swear by it, but I'm not a big bologna fan.

Someone sent me a procedure once. Take a piece of pvc pipe and sharpen one end.
Push it through the bologna lengthwise. Remove the meat from the pvc. Cut two chunks from it. Plug one end of the bologna with one plug. Fill with BBQ sauce, then plug the other end.
Never tried it.

I've heard of people cutting a core out of them and putting BBQ sauce in the core, then plugging it back up. They swear by it, but I'm not a big bologna fan.

Someone sent me a procedure once. Take a piece of pvc pipe and sharpen one end.
Push it through the bologna lengthwise. Remove the meat from the pvc. Cut two chunks from it. Plug one end of the bologna with one plug. Fill with BBQ sauce, then plug the other end.
Never tried it.

That really sounds interesting. I think I will give it a try just to see how it turns out. Will post when I do it.

I have even fried it, layed it out on a baking sheet then add a scoop of fresh mashed taters then lay a piece of cheese over the top. Place in oven until cheese is melted and starts to brown.
When I was a kid (not that I'm old) they called that a "golden mountain".

When I was a kid (not that I'm old) they called that a "golden mountain".

When I was in grade school, the lunch room served it quite often. Never knew what they called it. Just that it was good.

I like to get tubes of fresh made uncooked bologna tubes from a butcher here in KC. If you call ahead they will make as much as you ask for. The go pick 'em up and smoke 'em yourself. I cook 'em to 170 internal. Best bologna ever. It is better than a lot of things actually. Seriously good stuff.

When I lived in OK as a boy, I heard of people eating barbecue bologna, but I have never tried it. I think Dr. BBQ has it in one of his books.

Here is one that Shake at the BBQ Shack did a few years ago... If I remember correctly, he said that it fell off of the rotisserie rack and landed on the bottom of his pit... This was the end result...

blownee.jpg

Back