Master Chef Lobster Cookoff

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am competing tomorrow night in a Lobster cookoff and I am grilling lobster tails wrapped in a bacon weave. I ran a test run last night and the results were stellar. I have 45 minutes to complete the cook and I am looking for ideas for a side dish to plate with the lobster roll. I did a risotto last night with it but I don't think I will attempt it tomorrow. Any Ideas? The ingredients cannot be prepared in advance. The other handicap is that all the contestants must share a common grill.

Thanks,

Jed

Grill Asparagus.. maybe even wrap it with some prosciutto

I like your thinking but sharing a grill space might make that a bit of a challenge.

Figured soak and start the corn and pepper on the side of the grill out of the the competitors way. You can't really fark either one up. The corn steams in the husk and the pepper skin will be removed.
Quick and easy prep, skin the pepper and dice, shuck and cut the corn, add a squeeze of lime and small dice of cilantro-Done.

Like seeing what other ideas come in.

Best of luck in the comp and take some pics if you can!!:thumb:

I am competing tomorrow night in a Lobster cookoff and I am grilling lobster tails wrapped in a bacon weave. I ran a test run last night and the results were stellar. I have 45 minutes to complete the cook and I am looking for ideas for a side dish to plate with the lobster roll. I did a risotto last night with it but I don't think I will attempt it tomorrow. Any Ideas? The ingredients cannot be prepared in advance. The other handicap is that all the contestants must share a common grill.

I know this isn't the question, but are you par cooking the bacon? I would think that the lobster would be overcooked by the time the bacon was done.

I know this isn't the question, but are you par cooking the bacon? I would think that the lobster would be overcooked by the time the bacon was done.
Last night I did not. I wrapped the weave and then foiled it over. When the IT on the lobster reached 100 degrees, I unwrapped them and cooked the directly on the flames until the internal temp reach 140 and the the bacon was crisp. Pulled them off and sliced into medalions and served on top of the safron risotto. They were perfect.

Dude. You've got savory. Grill some fresh pineapple wedges with a bourbon brown sugar glaze to compliment.

IMHO. it'd be better to go with more savory for a side, which will then make the natural sweetness of the lobster meat stand out.

Do a search here on "Guerry's slaw"...

Oh, OK then.:mrgreen:

Ingredients:One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 ~ 2 tbs hot sauce to taste . (I've been using Sriracha lately)
Cooking Instructions:Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.

Do something light or something like mentioned earlier deconstructed lobster roll. Easting bacon wrapped lobster tail with risotto was probably good, but overwhelming with flavor and fat. Get some acid in the dish somehow, a bright side dish like a slaw would be awesome, with fennel, toasted sesame seeds, etc

Back