Jerk Pork Belly Bites

Smoking Piney

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
This is a Malcolm Reed recipe and I've been wanting to do this for a long time. :-D

https://howtobbqright.com/2020/03/05/jerk-pork-belly-bites/

It's a fresh marinade with white and green onions, garlic, ginger, habanero peppers, pimento, honey, jerk seasoning (I'm using Oakridge Jah Love), soy sauce, and fresh lime juice.

698MiySh.jpg

Chopped and spun in the processor (it smelled and tasted great):

UsTZ9ggh.jpg

I cubed a 12 pound belly and it's swimming in the marinade overnight tonight.

q4RjxKEh.jpg

It goes on the smoker tomorrow on racks at 250 for 3 hours. While it's on the smoke, I'll make the sauce from the recipe. Once the color is set, it gets sauced in a large pan with brown sugar, covered, and smoked another 1 1/2 hours. I'll pull the foil, stir, and let the sauce reduce and caramelize.

Going to be a fun day in the smoke tomorrow! :-D

I did a kind of mojo-jerk "burnt ends" out of cured (5-day) rib tip trimmings from a rack of STL spares last week. there was a bunch of ghost chiles in the wet cure brine lol so the flavor profile just made sense for it

Besides just my finishing sauce, a little Tiger and extra homemade scorpion sauce bc those taste closest to scotch bonnets to me-
Hamtips-Copy.jpg

also u forgot the ketchup in the marinade!

its the secret of the best shacks on the island

Didn't forget it.

The ketchup goes into the sauce I use tomorrow after I smoke to color. :-D

I said marinade, not the sauce!! :wink: Honestly, just seems like it adds some especially good color/smoke ring (to me). maybe especially tangy but i often make a VERY hot sauce to brush on, and then squiggle a line of ketchup (red gold if possible) on it like u do on a hotdog to ruffle someones feathers

Gonna be good stuff regardless!! Excited to see it. Got a bunch of drums today for somethin jerk-esque myself (thanks to u!)

Love where this is headed, John.

I seriously look forward to the second half of this adventure.

:pop2:

Back