MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Question OK, what did I do wrong?

OK guys/gals, my head is hanging low this morning, but I have to put my pride aside and get this post done. I got a 5.5 lb flat-only CAB from the Supa Wally world the other day.

My goal was to tryout this injection that I got in the mail last week. Saturday night, I inject the crap out of it, at about every inch or so. Tried to use the entire mix, but there was just too much. I let it set overnight and threw it on at 9am. By 7pm it was still around 175*, but it felt done and so I pulled it.

1) I was not expecting this thing to be stuck at 175 after 10 hours.
2) It was very hammy.

So, not sure if I injected too much, or perhaps I should not have let it sit overnight? Whatever I did wrong, it sure was wrong. The brisky was very hammy and like I said it never hit temp. Not sure that the temp thing is related, but I suspect the injection was at play here too since I have never has this happen in many a brisky cook.

Smoker temps were averaging around 230 on the WSM. It was windy and so I had a few spikes, but at no time did it dip below 225.

Any ideas and general feedback for using these injections? I used the KosmosQ.
bmanMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Sometimes a brisket is just plain stubborn. It takes as long as it takes. Check your thremometers, pit and probe. Finally, wind kills pit temp. I doubt the injection made any difference. But whatever it was, put it behind you and get back in the saddle.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Well hello Bman. I'm from the other end of the state and have injected just a couple of butts, but I'll give you my 2 cents. I've used Butchers injection on whole packers only and with good success. The container is good for two whole packers of about 12 to 13 pounds each. I inject right before the meat goes on the smoker and the recommendations from those who know suggest no more than four hours from injecting to smoking. Over night was IMHO too long for the meat to sit marinating. It sounds as if you used too much product also. I have never used Kosmo's but have heard it is similar to Butchers. As to the cooking time? Meat goes at it's own pace and is done when it's done, although around 12 hours seems to be my average.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

When you "felt done" what do you mean? describe it
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

the amount of injection and length of time that it sat b4 cooking wouldnt ruin it IMHO. At comps I try to inject as early as possible and as much as I can get in there and then some. I wasnt there but i believe it just wasnt cooked enough from what you are describing.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 09-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
When you "felt done" what do you mean? describe it
I was able to insert my meat probe into the meat in several locations, and it slid on in with little resistance as if it was sitting around 190. It was getting late and I needed to let it rest. These 2 factors forced me to pull.

When I carved the meat after letting it rest, it was very moist, very tender. But it was not done; that is, it didn't have the correct texture, it didn't pass the 'pull and snap' test, for example. It was just not right. The best way to explain the product is an underdone brisky that magically was not dry and tough. I suspect the Kosmos saved me there. But it tasted like a ham.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I am a FAB user , I have never used Kosmos. Maybe that is what gave it the "hammy taste"?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I am a FAB user , I have never used Kosmos. Maybe that is what gave it the "hammy taste"?
How heavy of an application do you typically use? I drenched the thing.
I have read good things about the Kosmos... I'll reserve judgment at the moment. Patio Daddio gave it good marks.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

What did you mix with Kosmos?