MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:26 AM   #46
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Damn, I'll have to call my mother tonight and tell her she was right (again), a good personality is better then a pretty face. And a great cook is better the an expensive cooker unless you know how to use it. Congratulations to you all

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 06:50 AM   #47
MikeG
Full Fledged Farker

great job guys
so proud of you...
Congradulations!!!!
Mikeg
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 06:53 AM   #48
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Guys,
I am proud as hell (and envious) of all of you.
Sounds like you did a killer job under some adverse conditions, and some stiff competition.

Now, what inquiring minds (at least mine) want to know is, now that you guys are TV Stars, are we supposed to refer to you as
Super Star Pooh, Sir Brooklyn Q, & The Chad? Do we have to make an appointment with your agent, before we have an audience with you? How much will you be charging for your autograph? Are we obligated to bow & back away when leaving your presence.

Hell of a job, Congrats.
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 08-23-2004, 07:13 AM   #49
jt
Babbling Farker

Great job, guys!

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 07:52 AM   #50
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_81
You guys beat THE Jack McDavid - the Grillin and Chillin guy? The Jack's Firehouse guy?

The guy with the ballcap and the red baseball sleeves?

Yup. Got him in brisket and chicken...

thats the guy. I didnt know he was a big wig. Just goes to show ya, on any givin day anyone can win.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 08:31 AM   #51
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

After the awards I went over to Jack McDavid's area for a handshake and to tell him congratulations. Seems to be a really nice guy -- he didn't pick up the awards -- his kids did!

Also spoke and shook hands with Butch from Smack Your Lips BBQ -- he placed in 3 categories -- nice old guy. I tasted his brisket -- good, but I think we'd have beat him, too. He was DQ'd on brisket by being late for turnin -- one minute 10 secs late!

We used the Weber WSMs for the brisket and pork butt and the Klose for the chicken and ribs. We're not real sure what happened with our pork butt -- it tasted good, good texture, etc. definately wasn't nasty or anything. Phil is really bummed about the ribs -- I think he said it's back to the basics to see if he can't get them back into contention.

The All American Festival people were really nice - Phil and Rob did great interviews -- even when Rob called himself the "pit bitch" on camera!! :D It'll be interesting to see how it edits -- we'll either look like a really fun bunch and get a couple hundred new members after the airing or we'll come off like South Park!! :D Having them taste the 2nd place chicken on camera will help us get more air-time and having Sharon doing the food running won't hurt a bit, either! :D

The caps and aprons were very prominent in the shots -- Phil and I always had our hats and aprons on -- Rob wasn't wearing a hat but had his apron on most of the time -- several references were made to BBQ-Brethren.com!! Marketing, marketing, marketing!!

Too bad Phil shushed me! I probably could have negotiated our own show!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 08:41 AM   #52
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Thats funny DF

Sounds like you all had a good time. Where's Robs write up?

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #53
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome job guys!

You Rock!!!

Congrats!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 09:10 AM   #54
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:

i didnt shush you!! You were turnin blue.. you needed oxygen. I mearly saved you.

it went like this..

interviewer: Your team is Brothers in smoke. Are you guys brothers?
Me: I am NOT related to him.!
Dave: We aren't brothers. He's from Ny and Im from florida and he called me to come up and cook with him but the called me right before the hurricane, and i answered tthe fone and told him we were gonna have a hurricane and i told him that i couldnt give him an answer till after the hurricane and then the hurricane came and we did prettty good with the hurricane cause it was gonna pass us to the south so we made it thru the hurricane and thats when i figured its ok to call him so i had to talk to mama and make sure it was ok with her and she said to go and thats when I said ok im gonna call phil and then i picked up the phone and told him i was gonna come up so we worked out the .......................

Me to interviewer(who at this point was going uh-huh, uh-huh.): This is how we do it in the group.

Me to Dave: Dave, Take a breath.

I was mearly trying to stop you from fainitng on camera.

Honestly, the whole scene was funny.. we were all so charged up, and this guy comes over in a hawaiian shirt and asks if its ok to interview you? its 35 minutes before first turnin. Told him we gotta be quick. I recognized him from TV, but dont remember what show. We showed him the rack and he asked for some chicken. (I had to pick a piece that wasnt judge worthy). :) He asked typical interview questions but pretty much fixated on our team name. Like the chicken though.. and it wasnt even ready!. Rob caught up with him later and he said something along the lines that he tasted everyones and ours was definately up there. We got some decent time on the camera, but hinestly dave.... i'd vote for the three stooges more than south park.

In another interview, when this purdy little lady interviewing me asked, "How do you choose your meat?". I had beavis & butthead in my mind going.. "hehehe, she said meat".
brethren comebacks were about to take over... I was in turmoil... RESTRAINT!! RESTRAINT!! Dont say it!! Deep breath.. think i made it thru that ok..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 09:38 AM   #55
parrothead

Damn, wish I had been there. Oh well, my day on food network is coming.

Can't wait to see it. Any clue when it will be on?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 09:42 AM   #56
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
it went like this..

interviewer: Your team is Brothers in smoke. Are you guys brothers?
Me: I am NOT related to him.!
Dave: We aren't brothers. He's from Ny and Im from florida and he called me to come up and cook with him but the called me right before the hurricane, and i answered tthe fone and told him we were gonna have a hurricane and i told him that i couldnt give him an answer till after the hurricane and then the hurricane came and we did prettty good with the hurricane cause it was gonna pass us to the south so we made it thru the hurricane and thats when i figured its ok to call him so i had to talk to mama and make sure it was ok with her and she said to go and thats when I said ok im gonna call phil and then i picked up the phone and told him i was gonna come up so we worked out the .......................

Hmmmm, now where have I heard that cadence before?
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 AM   #57
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_81
You guys beat THE Jack McDavid - the Grillin and Chillin guy? The Jack's Firehouse guy?

The guy with the ballcap and the red baseball sleeves?

Yup. Got him in brisket and chicken...

thats the guy. I didnt know he was a big wig. Just goes to show ya, on any givin day anyone can win.
Jack comes across on TV as a regular guy, especially when he was paired up with Flay. Jack's bio says he's a self taught chef and stresses the quality of the ingredients in cooking.

I can see it now....BBQ-Brethren Cooking Show on FoodTV..........each week different brothers chime in. Brian with a rice dish.....Al with spam.....Mook wandering NoCal in search of sauce.....the possibilities are endless!

Nice job guys.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #58
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead

We heard 4-5 months -- I believe I heard them say that the people that signed releases (Phil & Rob) will be notified.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #59
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:

I think you'll be on when you fire your rig up at the restaurant.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #60
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Quote:

I think you'll be on when you fire your rig up at the restaurant.

DITTO!!!

Cabo