MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
mgp03051
Full Fledged Farker

Default first comp. questions

Hello everyone
I'm going to participate in my first comp May 22 & 23 and have a few questions. Here is the link mannorchards.com/1_14_Johnny-Black-BBQ-Smoke-Off.html
First I was wondering if anyone from the Brethren was going to be there competing. The rules for the comp. are pretty self explanatory except for one thing they refer to OMP Rules I Googled OMP and could not find anything could someone guide me in the right direction. On the topic of wash tubs what size is the average I was thinking 5 gallon buckets, I've been to a few comps and never thought to look what people where using. I have been using a GOSM and UDS I have got the UDS pretty much figured out and am planning on building 1 or 2 more for the comp. I was thinking bringing 2 but then though what if my butts or briskets get stuck then I'll only have one for Ribs and Chicken and not enough room for both. I guess my question is how many UDS's ? I posted on FB so my friends could Vote on a team name and it was almost unanimous "Can U Smell My Pits" was the winner. So I guess there's my sign LOL. Any other words or wisdom you could offer would be appreciated thanks
mgp03051 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
nthole
Babbling Farker

Two easy options on 'tubs'.

Go to Sams or any restaurant supply house and get THREE (wash, rinse, sanitize) bus boy tubs. They are 5 gallon tubs, but only fill them about half way, thus half a cap of bleach.

Or, go to your local Target or Bed Bath & Beyond and get THREE (wash, rinse, santize) STORAGE units that are about the size of bus boy tubs and use those. You can even buy the tops that snap onto them and after you are done washing up wash the tubs, rinse them, dry them real good and then use them to store your equipment (one for cooking utensils, one for clean towels and boxes of trash bags, sanitary gloves etc, and one for dirty dishrags and towels that you can open up and wash when you get home). Multi-taskers!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Just a guess, but at the bottom of the rules doc I see a reference to Orchard Made Products.

I think you can get by with two UDS. Use one for the butts and briskets and target them being done early enough that even if they stick you have enough time for chicken. You can always foil the butts and briskets and put them on the lower shelf in a big pile and do the chicken on the top is you really have to.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

grey plastic tubs from sams .perfect for comps 1 extra cooker is better then under cooked meat you can always use one too hold meat in. if you havenot done a practice run for a full contest i would keep track of your times and temp.
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

I used plastic cat litter boxes for the wash stations (unused of course !!)
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 04-09-2011 at 08:51 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I used plastic cat litter boxes for the wash stations (unused of course !!)
Wouldn't be so sure of that... did you keep your eye on Phil the WHOLE time?
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
MattCom
Take a breath!

If you can get your hands on a propane fired pot (Coleman makes one) or a burner to heat some water. That will go a long way when washing greasy utensils and gear. Your hands will appreciate it too!
I like the team name, good luck!

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
If you can get your hands on a propane fired pot (Coleman makes one) or a burner to heat some water. That will go a long way when washing greasy utensils and gear. Your hands will appreciate it too!
I like the team name, good luck!
Dude...I love your avatar.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use the bus tubs. We had tried double using the ones with the lids and it worked fine until we needed to wash something and had to find a place for all the stuff we stored in them.

Hot water is going to be your friend. I would pick up a turkey fryer for this.

I also agree that you need to try a full practice comp., outside, using the equipment and tables you plan on bringing. You may find that the tables are going to be to low. Better to discover this now than when you're at the comp. The tables can have PVC extensions for the legs to bring them to a more comfortable height.

Good Luck!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

tidbit... for the wash bins ... get the size that your largest cutting board will fit into (at least one side). makes cleanup that much easier.

As far as hot water, we use a 30 cup coffee pot (@ Ocean State Job Lot for 19.99)
It takes a little while (approx. 20-30 minutes) to heat up though.
Next on my own list is the Coleman Hot Water thingy, but right now, the coffee pot works swell... as mentioned above, turkey fryers work very well too.

I agree with whoever said an 'extra' cooker is better than under-done meat. Definately do a practice run, from start to finish, including turn-in windows and turn-in boxes, so you can manage your time better if something does happen.
The best thing you can do is practice. That way you are more comfortable with everything, and less nerves means a better cook all around.
Also, the more you can do ahead of time, the better off you are.
No seasoning
, but you can trim all meats ahead of time...

BTW, LOVE your team name...

Best of luck at Mann Orchards, I have heard only good things about their event, and be sure to let us all know how it goes!

*OMP must mean Orchard Made Products....
SO, if you have questions (about anything) or something you need clarified ASK THEM!
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I used turkey fryer for a long time to heat up dish water. It only takes a couple of minutes. I say you need a UDS/pit for each category. I've never heard of this contest or rules of OMP, so I can't help there. Good Luck with your first contest. You're gonna love it.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #12
mgp03051
Full Fledged Farker

thanks everyone very good advice and ideas. I will be doing a complete run threw before Comp. to get my times down and get my set up right. thanks again
mgp03051 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

The team next to us in North Little Rock was using a set of 3 black masonry mixing tubs for dishes. They were huge! Unlike bus tubs, you could easily fit full sheet pans and large cutting boards in these things. I think she said she bought them at Lowe's - they were designed for brickmasons to mix mortar in. Obviously not NSF approved however.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

For dish water we started out using one o the large urns you see at church functions to hold tea and coffee in . It worked great and was really inexpensive to pick up a used one. Now we use a coleman hot water on demand unit.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote