MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Temp calculations

Does anyone have a formula for temp to time calculations?

Let's say you have a 10lb piece of brisket

At 220 degrees say, you'll smoke for 1 1/2 hours a lb

So what would it be if you smoked the same meat at 200? 250? 275? 300?

How do you arrive at your estimates? What about for ribs? Chicken? Butt?
What? Chicken Butt.

Now please don't answer that it's tenderness that determines done. I know that. I'm just trying to figure out time to temp ratios for estimating time of completetion.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Default RE: Temp calculations

I feel a science project coming on (and a real good reason to cook something this weekend). Off the top of my head, here are my ballpark times at 225 degrees:
  • 4 hours for chicken quarters
    6 hours for beer butt chicken
    6 hours for BB ribs (rotating racks around and using 3-2-1 method)
    Need to figure out how long for spares, haven't done them in quite a while
    10 hours for either a BB or picnic shoulder
    12 hours for a packer brisket. Never done just a point or flat but I'm sure they wouldn't take as long.

Now then, for the BB, Picnic Shoulder and Brisket, this does not count the time that they are wrapped and coolered. That's usually another 30 minutes to an hour.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Default RE: Temp calculations

I find the BBQ is done when its done (especially brisket)!! I have cooked similar sized briskets right next to each other and they will get done at different times. I just cook brisket until the temp probe goes in and comes out easily. Sometimes it seems like that is an hour a pound and sometimes closer to two.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
nucleargeek
Full Fledged Farker

Same for me....different briskets take different amounts of time. My pork shoulders are usually similar time wise, but briskets never take the same amount of time. Things that make you go hmmmmmm!
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them outta meat!
nucleargeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Now please don't answer that it's tenderness that determines done. I know that. I'm just trying to figure out time to temp ratios for estimating time of completetion.
Rob, You're question got me curious so I spent some time googling different terms trying to come up with some sort of answer, to no avail.
Best I can give you is a guesstimate from all the info in my cooking log. Allowing there are variables of fat content, age of meat etc. for butts and briskets I'd say 200* cooking temp will put your close,maybe a bit over, 1.5 hrs per # and 250 would start getting under and hour per #. The key to these two is, finish early and let the cooler be your friend.
Chicken is a little easier, for parts (thighs, breasts) 2 hrs @ 275 will cook either part perfect. Keep in mind my times here are for brined parts which will cook a little faster than unbrined. Allow some extra time for saucing/glazing.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote