MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

Great thread and I am biased...I produce Johnny Trigg's California classes and we just finished the second sold out one.

Some whisper that Johnny only won one GC this year so why take his class? I could go into a bunch of reasons why Johnny doesn't win more...maybe a little old school...blah blah blah but I believe that if he didn't spend way too much time at comps with his fellow cooks answering questions...posing for pics, signing autographs for the fans... getting carried away telling stories he stlll could win more often.

Johnny has won over 100 GC's...certainly someone can pick up something from that experience. I know that 4 out of the 20 cooks at the last class won their first GC's...Big Poppa Smokers won it's first one the week after the class.

Classes have accelerated the quality of cooks...made it tougher for more of the cooks who teach....some of the great cooks aren't ready to share their secrets.....some charge a lot of money and dont tell all of their recipes and techniques.

There is always one cook at the class that when it comes time for the food to be tasted is judging....That is funny for all of us...The Teacher is teaching first...cooking second. They have the pit open way more...the timeline is interrupted all the time....It isnt a private meal...its a class. That being said...Johnny is amazing at how much energy he gives...including his cell phone number to all class participants and works the room for 22 hours our of the 24. He is the 73 year old energizer bunny.

Lets not forget Trish either....the rock.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #17
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I attended Trigg 1 at BP
The limited class size was central to why the class works so well
You really get to talk and connect with the Triggs
My experience changed much of what I do in catering and the few comps I cook
And the hospitably of the Big Poppa Crew was top notch making for a great weekend

The first question on a class should be who is leading ?
and second how many max will be there ?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

The twenty student limit is our requirement....I hate cattle calls

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
Great thread and I am biased...I produce Johnny Trigg's California classes and we just finished the second sold out one.

Some whisper that Johnny only won one GC this year so why take his class? I could go into a bunch of reasons why Johnny doesn't win more...maybe a little old school...blah blah blah but I believe that if he didn't spend way too much time at comps with his fellow cooks answering questions...posing for pics, signing autographs for the fans... getting carried away telling stories he stlll could win more often.

Johnny has won over 100 GC's...certainly someone can pick up something from that experience. I know that 4 out of the 20 cooks at the last class won their first GC's...Big Poppa Smokers won it's first one the week after the class.

Classes have accelerated the quality of cooks...made it tougher for more of the cooks who teach....some of the great cooks aren't ready to share their secrets.....some charge a lot of money and dont tell all of their recipes and techniques.

There is always one cook at the class that when it comes time for the food to be tasted is judging....That is funny for all of us...The Teacher is teaching first...cooking second. They have the pit open way more...the timeline is interrupted all the time....It isnt a private meal...its a class. That being said...Johnny is amazing at how much energy he gives...including his cell phone number to all class participants and works the room for 22 hours our of the 24. He is the 73 year old energizer bunny.

Lets not forget Trish either....the rock.
I've heard some of those things about Johnny. My usual response is that he can challenge for GC just about any time that he wants to. If somebody starts the smack talk he can honestly tell most people that he has won more contests than they have cooked, and he has. He's 73 and still cooking. I can only dream of being out there like he is in 27 years.

The gold isn't in his recipes, it's in his thought process, attention to detail, and experience. Ask him any question you want, but remember that it's your responsibility to deal with it whether you like it or not. He's not shy about speaking his mind People that know him much better than I, have told me that he's been having the time of his life the last several years. I'm glad, because he's earned it.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #20
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I've got to chime in on this one. I'll admit that on the 4 hr flight to LAX early this year I was thinking "This has to be one of the DUMBEST things I've done in my life". It turned out to be an awsome time!
Sterling's set up is second to none! Johnny's stories are worth the entry fee alone.
As far as what classes to take I say any and all. You can't put a value on them. I've posted this before but I had a little over $2k (travel included) in Plowboy-Butcher and Triggs classes last winter. From what I learned and incorporated into what I was already doing earned me over $21k this year and 20 consecutive comps that I cashed a check. I'm not trying to brag here. I'm just sayin that if you want to win you've got to see & learn what the top guys are doing.
Am I going to take more classes? H3LL yes.........rant over.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #21
JD McGee

We took Johnny's class last year based soley on his reputation...there were two others we were considering as well...Scottie Johnson's and Myron Mixon's. It came down to demographics for us...having family in So-Cal we opted for Johnny's class and Palm Spring's. We were not disappointed...nor were the folks that took Scottie's or Myron's (so we have heard). We were looking for tips and tricks that we could incorporate into our program and to see how a seasoned professional went about his business...we were amazed...not necessarily with his flavor profiles (which are pretty damn good btw) but by how he looks at each comp...his prep, cooking, and attitude never waiver...win or lose...walk or not...he's having the time of his life at 73 ( to quote Jorge)...and now we are too! Thanks Johnny!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #22
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Here in Iowa Tippycanoe and Big Tz are having a class in late January. Unfortunately as a member of the Iowa BBQ Society's banquet committee and our banquet being held the same day I won't be able to attend.
With this being said, I would like to invite any other teams that have put on classes before to contact me via private message and I would love to talk about hosting a class in the Des Moines are in February or March.
I have numerous contacts in the hospitality industry in the area and would love to bring a class to town.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
We took Johnny's class last year based soley on his reputation...there were two others we were considering as well...Scottie Johnson's and Myron Mixon's. It came down to demographics for us...having family in So-Cal we opted for Johnny's class and Palm Spring's. We were not disappointed...nor were the folks that took Scottie's or Myron's (so we have heard). We were looking for tips and tricks that we could incorporate into our program and to see how a seasoned professional went about his business...we were amazed...not necessarily with his flavor profiles (which are pretty damn good btw) but by how he looks at each comp...his prep, cooking, and attitude never waiver...win or lose...walk or not...he's having the time of his life at 73 ( to quote Jorge)...and now we are too! Thanks Johnny!
Are Johnnys classes in Palm Springs? I grew up there and still have family I could stay with...

Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSmoke View Post
Are Johnnys classes in Palm Springs? I grew up there and still have family I could stay with...
The one we took was...Sterling has hosted two classes so far. I am sure he will be hosting more...perhaps this spring. What say ye Sterling?
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #25
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

the week after havasu...havent announced it until here today...these fill up quickly

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #26
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I don't think they put on grilling class?
Yup, no good teams up here. Well, except for all those teams getting calls at The Jack.

As for the on thread topic: I think a team that is currently winning is best to take a class from, but a local winning team may be a better value than a nationally recognized team because the course will be less expensive.

I have taken 3 classes, and all the classes were VERY detailed. A lot of what you will get out of it will depend on your ability to take detailed notes. Pay attention to process, it's not all about the recipes.

I do think a class from a winning team is a good idea, especially the first one. I will periodically take new classes to keep up with what other people are thinking and doing, but there are diminishing returns. You will learn the most from the first class, some from the second, and after that you can expect to pick up little pointers. You don't want to throw out your current recipes and start over every time you take a class.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #27
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I don't think they put on grilling class?

QUAU won the I Love BBQ Fest Midnight Grilling contest, Lake Placid, NY in 2009. cancersuckschicago.com took the GC in 2010 and we were also Reserve in 2007 (tied, but lost tie breaker). We were probably lucky though... Just to give the NEBS teams an opportunity, the Illinois boys retired from the grilling contest...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
jstevens9880
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
the week after havasu...havent announced it until here today...these fill up quickly
What are the details? When, where, how much?
jstevens9880 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #29
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

call kristin at 877 828 0727 600.00 limited to 20 people...super bowl weekend but not game day

Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #30
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
QUAU won the I Love BBQ Fest Midnight Grilling contest, Lake Placid, NY in 2009.

Amazing, considering the annoying neighbors they had to put up with.

<- me
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote