MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

We all have different tastes. Experiment. On your first smoke, do small amounts of several cheeses, and see what you like, and don't like.

I think we all agree that you need to let any cheese you smoke mellow out for a while before eating it.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
We all have different tastes. Experiment. On your first smoke, do small amounts of several cheeses, and see what you like, and don't like.

I think we all agree that you need to let any cheese you smoke mellow out for a while before eating it.

CD
Yes, definitely experiment with types, brands and flavor. And I will agree that mellowing will improve the flavor,.... but I feel that if the samples right off the smoker are too bitter or too smoky to eat.... it is over smoked.

Likewise, if you see the milk fats surfacing, or your pieces start to lean, your smoker is too warm. I will smell my fingers and check for oil after turning the pieces, and if they smell of smoke it is an indication of surface smoke residue. It's all in keeping everything cool (the cheese and the smoke) and using a smoke generator that can deliver a light smoke over a long period of time.

After smoking I always let my cheeses sit at room temperature for a couple of hours, then move into the fridge to cool down a day or so before bagging or vac sealing. This eliminates any condensation you might get if you wrap too soon. As far as eating, I will start enjoying cheese right after it's cooled down.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
After smoking I always let my cheeses sit at room temperature for a couple of hours, then move into the fridge to cool down a day or so before bagging or vac sealing. This eliminates any condensation you might get if you wrap too soon. As far as eating, I will start enjoying cheese right after it's cooled down.

I smoked 15# of cheese just before Christmas. After smoking was complete I turned on a big electric fan and let the blocks cool while still in the smoker.
I placed them into a couple of pans into the beer fridge they went. I was planning on letting them dry for 24 hrs. Life got busy and they were wrapped around the 48 hr mark. Rested a week in plastic wrap and were distributed out after 5 days. Got rave reviews after this last batch.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
khs282
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD
Thanks for the suggestion. I think my brother and I will be stopping at Sams Club in the morning and selecting a bunch of different cheeses to try.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
khs282
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! Lots of great advice on here. Great forum!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #21
Smokin' Hicks
On the road to being a farker

smoked mozzarella is my favorite. It takes smoke easy and only takes a hour or two to finish, be sure and get a whole milk mozzarella, do not use fresh or buffalo mozzarella....besides it makes the best smoked mozzarella fodue

Smokin' Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Hicks View Post
smoked mozzarella is my favorite. It takes smoke easy and only takes a hour or two to finish, be sure and get a whole milk mozzarella, do not use fresh or buffalo mozzarella....besides it makes the best smoked mozzarella fodue
I've been wanting to try smoking some of the mozzarella string cheese sticks but keep forgetting to buy them... I think these would be great to take to work.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
ymmiT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Hicks View Post
I've heard both sides of the mozzarella thing. Don't use fresh mozz and make sure to use fresh mozz. Is this just a taste preference thing or does one smoke better than the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I've been wanting to try smoking some of the mozzarella string cheese sticks but keep forgetting to buy them... I think these would be great to take to work.
That's a good idea. I'll throw a few on with everything else. Having a 6 year old all but guarantees we have some string cheese in the fridge.

We'll post some pics afterwards.

To make this more interesting, what beers go well with which smoked cheeses?
ymmiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post

I smoked 15# of cheese just before Christmas. After smoking was complete I turned on a big electric fan and let the blocks cool while still in the smoker.
I placed them into a couple of pans into the beer fridge they went. I was planning on letting them dry for 24 hrs. Life got busy and they were wrapped around the 48 hr mark. Rested a week in plastic wrap and were distributed out after 5 days. Got rave reviews after this last batch.
Does the fridge end up smelling all smokey after letting the cheese cool?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
khs282
Full Fledged Farker

Quote originally posted by ymmiT:

I am coming down with August Schells Snowstorm. I think that will go good.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #26
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by khs282 View Post
Quote originally posted by ymmiT:

I am coming down with August Schells Snowstorm. I think that will go good.
I'm thinking of a refreshing Chardonnay, lightly oaked, with a soft hint of aromatics, like green apple and lemon zest......

Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
Harmony BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Old Milwaukee goes great with smoked cheese!

One tip on smoking cheese that I do is to place parchment paper on the grate before putting the cheese on the smoker. It keeps the black lines from forming on the cheese. It does nothing for the flavor, purely astetic, I usually give a lot of cheese away to family and friends during the holidays and want it to look nice.
Harmony BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony BBQ View Post
Old Milwaukee goes great with smoked cheese!

One tip on smoking cheese that I do is to place parchment paper on the grate before putting the cheese on the smoker. It keeps the black lines from forming on the cheese. It does nothing for the flavor, purely astetic, I usually give a lot of cheese away to family and friends during the holidays and want it to look nice.

Or you can use these grill grates made for veggies and fish. I keep one set just for cheese.