Smoked Ghost Pepper Salt

Radrob

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last year after researching smoked pepper salt recipes I came up with my own that works better than any others I tried. I add dehydrated ghost peppers to the mix and is it ever good. It's got enough heat that it doesn't take much to spice up a dish and add too much salt. It brings an awesome smoke flavor to gumbo and soups but I've used it in everything.

Here's my video if interested, it's a short 3 minute, straight to the point video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j17Pbqm0sbw

The ingredients are easy, kosher salt, water and peppers.
1 cup of water
2 tbs of dehydrated ghost pepper flakes
4 cups of kosher salt

Blend it up.
Vlcsnap-2020-10-29-15h50m58s508.png

Spread it as thin as possible on parchment paper.
Vlcsnap-2020-10-29-15h51m13s911.png

I smoked it on the CH5 for 8 hours total, stir after 3 hours then every hour after that.
Vlcsnap-2020-10-29-15h52m08s408.png

Scrap it off and blitz again to break up the chunks.
Vlcsnap-2020-10-29-14h53m46s422.png

Thanks for looking!!

First, this looks awesome and I appreciate the tutorial on the method. I wouldn’t have thought to add the water but it makes sense.

Additionally. SirPorkalot/Naturiffic has a product called Hot Salt. Fantastic stuff and I use it on anything. Like cut a tomato and eat the slices with Hot Salt. He uses smoked Serranos and another variety I believe.

Pretty cool.

That's fantastic! My son decided he wanted to grow some Carolina Reapers, which we did. Now we have a bunch of 'em dehydrated. I like hot food - even really hot food as long as there's other flavor involved - but I'm not into "eat it on a dare" type of hot. This looks like a good way to put some of 'em to use - thanks for posting!

Very similar to how I do my smoked Habenero salt.

I don't grind my peppers until after all the water is gone and the smoke is plenty.

Back