MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Default Reflections on the "Jack"

So I have had a week and a half to think about this contest, and first off I want to say it was an honor to get drawn for this contest and we had a great time. It was great to meet so many new people.
My thoughts are in no way to take away anything from ANYONE that did well.
I am just wondering if I am thinking correctly or am I in the minority.
Does anyone else think that this contest was poorly ran, over-hyped and overall poorly organized?
In reference to: spaces (i basically shared a 20 X 30 with another team), percentage of cbj's vs. celebrity judges, payout, clusterfark with anything involved with the "hill", power, just a few thoughts?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I am going to respectfully disagree to a point.

We received lots of communications about the Jack contest. In fact more than any other contest.
They accommodated our request not to be put back in the inner circle as we were flooded out last time. They accommodated our request to bring in a 5th wheel to save money on a hotel. they greeted us as soon as we arrived and made it clear to us about the requirements on security check in. The Sheriff came by and greeted us and thanked us for coming.
We had no power issues. They checked on us 3 times to make sure we had our porta potty. We had meat inspection completed quickly.
Overall the organization from experience this year was great..
The Jack has never been about the money. While I believe the payouts should be higher I think of it as just a gift alone to be going. It is the only contest that really promotes International BBQ. Worldwide.
The judging doesn't bother me. You know it going in and it doesn't affect TOY points.

I think BBQ hill while beautiful - is absolutely over packed and I would not go up again. Not worth the line ups. I did not stay long. I don't care about free drinks. We were one of the last buses and that certainly didn't help.

Having said all this the Jack is a great way for Brown Forman to showcase their brand. It is a marketing and prestigious BBQ event and you have to look at it like that. Take from it what you can enjoy what you can. Enjoying the Jack with friends and teams from all over the world is an incredible experience.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Q View Post
I am going to respectfully disagree to a point.

We received lots of communications about the Jack contest. In fact more than any other contest.
They accommodated our request not to be put back in the inner circle as we were flooded out last time. They accommodated our request to bring in a 5th wheel to save money on a hotel. they greeted us as soon as we arrived and made it clear to us about the requirements on security check in. The Sheriff came by and greeted us and thanked us for coming.
We had no power issues. They checked on us 3 times to make sure we had our porta potty. We had meat inspection completed quickly.
Overall the organization from experience this year was great..
The Jack has never been about the money. While I believe the payouts should be higher I think of it as just a gift alone to be going. It is the only contest that really promotes International BBQ. Worldwide.
The judging doesn't bother me. You know it going in and it doesn't affect TOY points.

I think BBQ hill while beautiful - is absolutely over packed and I would not go up again. Not worth the line ups. I did not stay long. I don't care about free drinks. We were one of the last buses and that certainly didn't help.

Having said all this the Jack is a great way for Brown Forman to showcase their brand. It is a marketing and prestigious BBQ event and you have to look at it like that. Take from it what you can enjoy what you can. Enjoying the Jack with friends and teams from all over the world is an incredible experience.
Easy to say being parked under a 20 x 20 pavillion!

I do know several teams had space and electric issues and the hill was CRAZY this year due to more teams and the arrival of Guy but it is what it is. Its the Jack and anybody i know would give their left nut to cook there.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
JD McGee

This was our second year to cook the Jack...I thought the organization and communication was excellent. BBQ Hill seemed to be overcrowded for folks arriving later in the evening...same as last year. The pay outs and judging leave a lot to be desired...but it is what it is. This was a very expensive trip for us...but well worth it for the simple reason that we got to visit with a LOT of family and friends in the area...and oh yeah...we got to cook a little bbq too!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
atvalaska
Knows what a fatty is.

I for one think things were a bit off from last year, the meet a greet at the gate was non existent power, free zone in the back 40/city park, things got back on track when meat inspection time came…them folks were on it !..…I did not go up on BBQ hill this year as last year it had more folks on it then I see around my town in year, team mates went up..…an came back with “it’s a mad house” ….judging was a bit different then last year as my scores were all over…(pic’s side by side with last years turns in’s reveled some of that) ……everyone seemed a bit …too… serious, still had a good time in all that hot weather….the jack folks had there plates full with all the people….so all in all …good job! ......i'm still sad the deep fried foot long corn dog guy was a no show ...as i had my eye and my own bottle of ketsup waiting on one

Last edited by atvalaska; 11-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: food!
atvalaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Ditto what others have said--also remember 'the jack' is what it is because of the volunteers who give a week(or more) of their time to help around the holler
Security was BS(imo anyway) but B-F must have hired a security guy that needed to prove his(or her) worth to the company)
that all said we had a great time and the weather was perfect!
Great way to end the bbq season and
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah the hill was crowded and we had some power issues. But compared to the other events we've done in the past two years it was pretty well-run, the folks were super nice and that goodie bag was really awesome! And the way I see it, it was an invitational event and we were fortunate enough to get that invite in our second year of competition when other deserving teams have been waiting for an invite for many years. So yeah we are happy. Didn't hurt we actually got hear our name called twice too.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduk View Post
poorly ran, over-hyped and overall poorly organized?
In reference to: spaces (i basically shared a 20 X 30 with another team), percentage of cbj's vs. celebrity judges, payout, clusterfark with anything involved with the "hill", power, just a few thoughts?
Ironic how 6,000+ teams still want to get in it!..
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Jorge

I was there, and grateful to be there. It's the Jack, it's different and that's part of what makes it special. I hope to be fortunate enough to go back and enjoy it again.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I was there, and grateful to be there. It's the Jack, it's different and that's part of what makes it special. I hope to be fortunate enough to go back and enjoy it again.

I hope to be there and do a shot with you... Those NEBS guys are wicked crazy... They do have good beeyah though...

The only thing i was disappointed in was everyone was in bed when i showed up... WTF.....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I hope to be there and do a shot with you... Those NEBS guys are wicked crazy... They do have good beeyah though...

The only thing i was disappointed in was everyone was in bed when i showed up... WTF.....
NEBSville was my destination of choice when I got out and about. I'll offer my public apologies now, because I neglected to offer you some local product when I came down off the hill and found you in our site

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
NEBSville was my destination of choice when I got out and about. I'll offer my public apologies now, because I neglected to offer you some local product when I came down off the hill and found you in our site

Don't you worry. Charlie and the ISS!!!/Lakeside folks took good care of me. Fortunately, the Sheriff didnt see me and i could enjoy a couple of hours...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
ALX
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
....i'm still sad the deep fried foot long corn dog guy was a no show ...as i had my eye and my own bottle of ketsup waiting on one
Man....I was pissed they were not vending this year.....Good corn dog hard find in these parts...

We did our second straight and with 89 teams compared to 76 last year the spots seemed tighter even with parking lot full behind ball field...

No complaints...Easy to say though when cooking/staying out of me sisters and BIL 12'x40' RV.....

Mike from Lakeside Smokers managed hook up a beauty of a junction box that fed 6 teams with some power(we use RV generator)

We ended up meeting many good comp folk as usual...32 degree saturday morning was a twist.....

No doubt we would do it again if invited......
ALX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

I was over on the vend side so we had plenty of space and great neighbors. The whole "security check-in" was silly & pointless but isn't that the case with most "security"? I had a good time and hope to be back.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Justin,
We are just proud of your representation at both the AR and the Jack.

What ever your experiences were, they will help you the next time you are there.

I know what will help your outlook, a nice portion of "apple pie"!