MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Smoky River BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default Deer Prepping

Just a quick question...although I am pretty sure what the answer will be Does anyone know of an easy or quick way to remove the silverskin from deer meat? The only way I have found is very carefully cutting it off. It doesn't want to peel very easy, i.e. spareribs, but some progress can be made that way. Just curious to see if there were any "tricks of the trade" out there. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
mick
Knows what a fatty is.

On the loin I leave it on. I usually bone out the meat and cut the steaks thick. Then I butterfly each steak right down to that thick tough skin. Its tough enough to hold the butterflied steaks together while grilling.

mick
mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Boil it off!
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Most of the rib meat on deer is silver skin. The only way to get it off good is to cut it off. Make sure you get any and all fat off too. That stuff is nasty tasting. That said you probably won't have much meat left when you are done LOL.
If it is a really big deer I usually bone the ribs out and grind it. On small deer I feed the ribs to the dogs. Not really worth fooling with to me.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think there is an easy way. Slice that BS steak open put some jap in it wrap with beacon put it on the grill, when the beacon is done the meat is perfect.

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Only thing I could add is it should be as cold/ close to forzen ,,,, helps alot.... but like said before there's not much on the ribs

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Smoky River BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Boil it off!
Hmmmmm.... Now there's an idea

Thanks, everyone. Just got the back leg off the smoker. I had injected it with apple juice, water, vegetable oil, salt, sugar and a little Dale's Seasoning. This was probably the moistest piece of deer I had ever had! I like the bacon idea. Will try it next!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky River BBQ View Post
Just a quick question...although I am pretty sure what the answer will be Does anyone know of an easy or quick way to remove the silverskin from deer meat? The only way I have found is very carefully cutting it off. It doesn't want to peel very easy, i.e. spareribs, but some progress can be made that way. Just curious to see if there were any "tricks of the trade" out there. Thanks!
We use a small, very flexabile fillet knife to remove the silver skin off our venison.
We loose very little meat doing it this way, just boring work but worth it come eating time.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
cheez59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky River BBQ View Post
Hmmmmm.... Now there's an idea

Thanks, everyone. Just got the back leg off the smoker. I had injected it with apple juice, water, vegetable oil, salt, sugar and a little Dale's Seasoning. This was probably the moistest piece of deer I had ever had! I like the bacon idea. Will try it next!
Deer is great when you first take it off the smoker. Let it rest a bit and polish it off. In my experience it gets totally dried out if you have any left over and reheat it.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50

Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
Deer is great when you first take it off the smoker. Let it rest a bit and polish it off. In my experience it gets totally dried out if you have any left over and reheat it.

Im thinking of apple juice or another liquid of your choice and a tight foil wrap would elimante the dried out venison during reheating.

Klose Mobile Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]

Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not enough meat on deer ribs for me to keep them.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
cheez59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Im thinking of apple juice or another liquid of your choice and a tight foil wrap would elimante the dried out venison during reheating.
No doubt it can be doctored up to make it palatable. My method is to chop the meat coarsely and add BBQ sauce to reheat. I don't waste the meat but no matter what you do it is not as good as when it first comes from the smoker. When I smoke a deer leg or roast I just try to figure how much to do so that there are no leftovers.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
No doubt it can be doctored up to make it palatable. My method is to chop the meat coarsely and add BBQ sauce to reheat. I don't waste the meat but no matter what you do it is not as good as when it first comes from the smoker. When I smoke a deer leg or roast I just try to figure how much to do so that there are no leftovers.
Long story short, a friend of mine is an excellent archer and kills a couple monster bucks a year if lucky.

He was throwing out neck roast.
His dad was talking to me about that and I said bullchit give them to me.
I put them into the crockpot w/sliced onions and some basic spices.
Cook overnite, let cool.
Remove the bones, shred the meat and add a half bottle of KC Masterpiece, cook on low for the several hours.
My family went bonkers over the sauced venison for supper.
Leftovers went the next nite for sandwiches.

Klose Mobile Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE

Old 12-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #14
cheez59

OK neck rroast is a whole different critter. Best part of the deer to smoke bar none.
I processed deer for about 35 years. Gave it up two years ago (long story) I am also a hunter and living in Georgia we are allowed to kill 12 deer a year. Needless to say we eat a lot of venison. When my father was alive he would just about fight you over a neck roast. I think the main reason the neck is so good is that it is about the only part of the deer that has no silver skin.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #15
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Wish i'd read these comments about neck roast this time last week. Good info here.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote