Wire shelf racks for cooking?

Pigdude

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When i see those wire shelf systems, i see cutting them down, making them stackable 5" apart for a rib smoker.
Is the material ok to cook on? Most look like chrome...?

I know someone here knows...or has probably done it!

I have!

I got some free shelves from my company a while ago and I modified them last fall to be used in the Fiery Furnace for a chicken cook because I wanted to add more capacity.

I assume these are the ones you're talking about?

Mine were stainless steel and not chrome plated. I was concerned that if they were chrome plated the coating would peel/flake off, but I asked a welding buddy of mine to check em out and he hit em with both heat and a cutting/grinding wheel and confirmed that they were SS.

P9280021_zps1c07fa69.jpg

yes, like that!

I see them at an online auction so a bit of a gamble to tell if they are Stainless. If it says NFS it is likely Stainless?

May have to take the gamble.....

I work at a company that sells these.. If they're stainless, you're good to go. How will you know if they're stainless? The price. They cost a LOT more. For a shelf kit - 48x18x72 chrome is $165, Stainless is $519!!

I would not recommend the chrome plate. I looked up the stats on it in our system -

TEMPERATURE RANGE: -20 to 120 F

They are on auction site...so hard to tell by price.
Does NSF mean they are stainless/

thanks, I want to bid today if they are stainless...

For what is worth, if they were stainless, it should say so. Stainless wire shelves are a specialty item, not nearly as common as chrome. Typically used in food service and lab settings.

Thanks for your help. I can't be sure what they are without seeing them...so I won't bid...

I work at a company that sells these.. If they're stainless, you're good to go.

Some grades of stainless aren't magnetic. If it isn't magnetic it's almost certainly stainless. Some stainless is magnetic though, try your kitchen sink. Shagdog, do you know the grade of stainless used?

Back