Ole Hickory

Dustaway

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anybody here have a Ultra Que from Old Hickory?

I picked mine up tonight looking for help on using charcoal thinking about giving it a try for Comps?

Very nice.

Never known anybody with an Ultra Que. I've seen the larger, commercial units at comps all the time. Ole Hickory has a well deserved reputation and a proven track record at competitions.

Let us know how it goes.

man I wish we could use gas all the time for Comp I hooked up the propane last night just to see how she would do holly crap in ten minutes it was up to 250 and the log was smoking good let it stabilized for five or so minutes and then went up to 300 before shutting it down what a super easy rig to operate no wounder most restaurant have the big units very simple. :biggrin: Pictures to come

Jorge why did you haft to go their for man :twisted: I'll keep crash way form my pit :wink:

Last edited:
man I wish we could use gas all the time for Comp I hooked up the propane last night just to see how she would do holly crap in ten minitues it was up to 250 and the log was smoking good let it stabilized for five or so minitues and then went up to 300 before shutting it down what a super easy rig to operate no wounder most reesturant have the big units very simple. :biggrin: Pictures to come

Jorge why did you haft to go their for man :twisted: I'll keep crash way form my pit :wink:

How could I not?:lol: You gotta love the JellyMan, with that twinkle in his eye while if gives folks crap:mrgreen:

man I wish we could use gas all the time for Comp I hooked up the propane last night just to see how she would do holly crap in ten minutes it was up to 250 and the log was smoking good let it stabilized for five or so minutes and then went up to 300 before shutting it down what a super easy rig to operate no wounder most restaurant have the big units very simple. :biggrin: Pictures to come

There is something really nice about having a first class smoker. Just don't tell my wife because she'll have me doing yardwork and stuff while smoking.

Somebody else might want to chime in here, but I think you can use gas to preheat the smoker in competition so long as there is not meat in the smoker.

I've never pushed the envelope, but I do think it is allowed.

I've talked to Margret about the convecture CTO unit with propane for fuel, I've posted questions on ole hickory smoker's but don't get many responces. Tell us more, such as smoke flavor, smoke ring, taste of food and pics please. Locally a resaurant uses the EL Ole hickory model with propane and I like the flavor of the food, I just wonder if the smaller smokers produce the same.

Wow! I googled your new pit...that puppy looks pretty cool! I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of it in action. :p Congrats!

Is Craig already on his way over to help?:mrgreen:

schleprock-717516.gif
?

Ok here are a few picks did some spares today was very easy held temps like a dream I only used the propane to start the lump then turned it off.

need to adjust times just a bit plenty of smoke ring and flavor :-D

will try a brisket Sunday :shock:
IMG_1889.jpg
IMG_1890.jpg

out of the foil
IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Ready to eat
IMG_1893.jpg

Ultra Que........

I purchased my Ultra Que two weeks ago. I just loaded two Pork Butts and a whole brisket this evening. I can be smoking in about ten minutes. The Ole Hickory Ultra Que is a very high quality smoker that takes very little time and effort. My old wood smoker took to much time and attention.

I am still learning what this thing can do, but so far I love it!

Dennis

Well Dusty, I guess you're on to something. Zman has been wrecking shop in KCBS comps with his automotronBBQatron contraption he has. I guess Craig will be the next to defect to the mechanized division. :mad:

Myself, I refuse to get any sleep at a comp. :wink:

Well after spend much of the day Sunday cooking Brisket, meat loaf and Moink balls I'm officially full 8)

the brisket turned out very good nice smoke ring good hickory flavor. The Meat loaf was very very good ate it all myself small loaf :twisted:

Wife was impressed with the moink balls sorry no picks batteries went down :mad:

over all very please with the new ole hickory :lol:

Sounds really impressive.

I have searched for a price for the Ultra Que, but it seems to be a secret. :oops:

How much??? is my question.

Thanks,

TIM

Well after spend much of the day Sunday cooking Brisket, meat loaf and Moink balls I'm officially full 8)

the brisket turned out very good nice smoke ring good hickory flavor. The Meat loaf was very very good ate it all myself small loaf :twisted:

Wife was impressed with the moink balls sorry no picks batteries went down :mad:

over all very please with the new ole hickory :lol:

You ate the batteries too! Holy Moly!!:lol: No wonder your full!

First run this past weekend at a competition was non sactioned bar room 27 teams alot of them cook comps placed 1st in brisket 8th in ribs

was only a brisket & rib burn

The CTO, next size up is around $4200 for unit, extra's cost $75 for comp switch, $475 for holding temp set up, and what ever tax is. I would like to own one.

Back