MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #3631
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlough69 View Post
I found the Brethren just a short time ago following a thread on building a UDS. I have only gotten to page 24 so far but the info is very helpful. I have already found a drum on kriegs list, drilled four air holes in the bottom with a step drill bit, and spent this evening burning it out. So far so good.
Grocery store ads come out tomorrow. Start planning your cook.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #3632
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Bragging rights is a big part of the UDS experience. I like watching hoity toity people turn their nose up when they see a "Trash Can" smoking and then watch them gorge themselves on the food and hover to see if there is any left to take home.
I bring in a lot of leftovers to work on Monday's including several racks of ribs, pounds of pulled pork, and most recently MOINK Balls and it is always gone before I go home. I showed one of them a picture of my new UDS, and they kind of turned up their nose...

I told them that is ok they don't have to eat any Q next time I bring it in - Farker!
Rich Parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 AM   #3633
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I bring in a lot of leftovers to work on Monday's including several racks of ribs, pounds of pulled pork, and most recently MOINK Balls and it is always gone before I go home. I showed one of them a picture of my new UDS, and they kind of turned up their nose...

I told them that is ok they don't have to eat any Q next time I bring it in - Farker!

Phark 'em!!!
They don't know that it is a sheep in wolfs clothing!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #3634
Smoker420
Found some matches.

Hey everyone! My barrel is burned and now I need to take a wheel wire to it inside and out.

Does anyone know where I can find a knotted wheel wire for a decent price? They want $18 for a Milwaukee 4” knotted wheel wire at HD.
They have a Blacken Decker non-knotted coarse wheel wire for $5 but I am not sure how efficient that one is?

Any advise on how to get the rest of the charred paint and liner out without spending too much money?
Smoker420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #3635
jlough69
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker420 View Post

Any advise on how to get the rest of the charred paint and liner out without spending too much money?
I am also at that point with my barrel. I burned it out well and have hit the obvious couple of paint spots that the burn missed, but how can you tell all of the liner is out?

Thanks,

John
jlough69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #3636
spcamno
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
I am also at that point with my barrel. I burned it out well and have hit the obvious couple of paint spots that the burn missed, but how can you tell all of the liner is out?

Thanks,

John
I remember reading someone mentioned before if its form a nice even brown layer of light rust after you power wash it you are going to go otherwise keep grinding / sanding.
spcamno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #3637
Smoker420
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcamno View Post
I remember reading someone mentioned before if its form a nice even brown layer of light rust after you power wash it you are going to go otherwise keep grinding / sanding.
Well, that's where I am at. The inside is a powdered rust. There are black spots but after the burn I took a wire brush to it, it turned a rusty color (Upper Left). In this pic you can where the barrel turned black (Upper Right):

So, will a non-knotted wheel wire work or should I buy a knotted one?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #3638
spcamno
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Well, that's where I am at. The inside is a powdered rust. There are black spots but after the burn I took a wire brush to it, it turned a rusty color (Upper Left). In this pic you can where the barrel turned black (Upper Right):

So, will a non-knotted wheel wire work or should I buy a knotted one?
I tried the non-knotted one but it didn't work that well and went to my friend's shop using one of these and works like wonder,that is a package of 20 so they are not expensive but not sure where you can buy them though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-3-...motiveQ5fTools
spcamno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #3639
JDER30
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thumbs up 55 Galloon UN rated steel Drun in Georgia

Hello all,

If you live int the Metro Atlanta are I found a couple of places where you can get some very nice UN rated 55 gallon drums:

Mconnell DDrum service
5880 New Peachtree Rd
Atlanta, GA 30340
(770) 451-1100
UN rated Refurbished Open Top, lined $34

Chambers Drum Company
71 Roberts St
Fairburn, GA 30213
(770) 964-7467
UN rated Refurbished Open Top, lined $32

They both carry unlined drums, but these will have to be purchased brand new for around $51 to $68 each

Have fun!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #3640
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Hey everyone! My barrel is burned and now I need to take a wheel wire to it inside and out.

Does anyone know where I can find a knotted wheel wire for a decent price? They want $18 for a Milwaukee 4” knotted wheel wire at HD.
They have a Blacken Decker non-knotted coarse wheel wire for $5 but I am not sure how efficient that one is?

Try here. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf I use a wire wheel cup that I put on my grinder. Note: get ear plugs or muffs, it gets loud in there.

Here it is, I think. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7388

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #3641
Smoker420
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiana mark View Post
Try here. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf I use a wire wheel cup that I put on my grinder. Note: get ear plugs or muffs, it gets loud in there.

Here it is, I think. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7388

Cool, thanks! Right in my price range.

I was planning on heading over there after work today. I'll take a look at it.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #3642
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Thanks,

John
i just do it until i get to bare metal ( shiny ) also wear ear plugs or something and safety glasses trust me.......
bacardi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #3643
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

Default heres my drum with my first cook ever (about 6 months too late)

Last edited by timmy7649; 07-17-2009 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: better pics
timmy7649 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #3644
jlough69
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacardi2001 View Post
i just do it until i get to bare metal ( shiny ) also wear ear plugs or something and safety glasses trust me.......
I still have a way to go then to get to bare metal. I can see fine rust forming over much of the inside but still has a few "protected" spots I need to work on. Thanks for the info
jlough69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #3645
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Timmy - That is one beautiful UDS you have there.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker