MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Talking Caught the bug, In need of advice.

First let me start by thanking all who shared Fatty recipes. I am new to forum and slow cooking. I bought a Bandera and was working the mods then decided to try to gain a feel for temp control. I bought what was on sale at the market which happened to be chicken and pork ribs. I cooked these and they were very tasty so I took some over to my ailing father. He raved about them to my sister on one of her visits. I give him daily reports on my progress of the mods. He let my sister know that my master machine is now ready for the weekend. I had promised him some pulled pork and a surprise (reason for fatty recipe). Anyhow my sister came bearing gifts..... 2 chickens and a pork shoulder (picnic cut). I had planned on cooking a Boston cut as described by many in the forum but who could turn down such a gift.

My question are:
1 I have copied recipes for the Boston cut, do I need to do anything different for the Picnic cut?
2. I am also cooking a Tri Tip I have had in the freezer to make room. How should I stack the meat, Pork on top, Beef, then Chicken?
3. Anyone suggest a rough timeline?
I would appreciate any suggestions.
Anyhow, either I will be a hit or my dog will have something to bury!
Thanks again.
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 AM   #2
Norcoredneck

Oh yeah, my wife does not want to be associated with what she deems as an impending disaster, so I am looking for a quick recipe for cold slaw, and a sauce for the pork. I know I am asking alot but I have 2 missions. One to prove my wife wrong and justify the $ of my new hobby, and see the old man smile on our family visits. Thanks again to all.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
bbqinNC
On the road to being a farker

If it was me, I would put the chicken on the bottom, the pork in the middle, and the beef on top. The chicken will cook the fastest, but at the low temps (225) the skin will be rubbery. Assuming the pork is in the 9lb neighborhood, it will probably take about 12 hours to get to 205 degrees for pulling. I usually raise the temp to around 250 for the last few hours. The beef I would just watch the internal temperature until it gets to where you want it. The pork is going to take the longest.

My 2 cents...
Kenmore Kettle Charcoal grill
bbqinNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
djmarko
Full Fledged Farker

Here's my 2 cents. You don't need to do anything different with the picnic. If it has the skin on it you may want to trim that off to get better smoke penetration. Just put your rub on and smoke away. I like to split my chickens and brine them. I think they come out great that way. Basic recipe: 3/4 cup kosher salt to 1 gallon water, 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar depending on your taste and whatever other seasonings you want to throw in. Just keep in mind if any other seasonings have salt in them to adjust the amount of kosher salt. Brine for about 4 hours and rinse off and your ready to cook.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
Jorge

Chicken always goes on the bottom. I don't want it dripping on anything else as it cooks.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Bigmista

I agree with chicken on the bottom. You have a lot of good advice above. The flavor will be a little different on the picnic, but that's not a bad thing. It's just a little closer to ham IMHO. Smoke away!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I think that the guys have it covered as far as meat order and timing. Here's some recipes...

Here's a nice brine for chicken...

Apple Brine

1 gal apple juice
3/4 cup Morton K salt
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar.

Rinsed the bird VERY well inside and out with running water to remove all traces of the brine. Patted dry with towels and set to dry overnight in refrigerator.

Here's a very good slaw recipe...

BBQ COLE SLAW

3 cups chopped red cabbage
3 tbs minced white onion (can substitute scallions)
1 small carrot - grated or thinly sliced
3 tbs cider vinegar
3 tbs mayonnaise
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp worchestershire
1/2 tsp sugar (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp celery seed - lightly crushed
Ground black pepper to taste
Dash or 2 of hot sauce (adjust to taste)

Mix everything together in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serves 4 as a side.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
racer_81
Babbling Farker

definitely brine the chicken.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:15 AM   #9
Norcoredneck

Talking Update

Tried first Fatty. Turned out great. Chicken came out great, Tri tip is fantastic. Taking a break from trying to control temp on pork shoulder, Weird weather here. Thunder showers off and on, wind kicking up and realy screwing up my 220 dwell. Bet my neighbor my teen age daughter would say " It's OK" when asked how the Tri Tip tasted. I was right so he gets to tend the Dera for awhile. He doesn't mind as long as the cooler still has some full ones. By the way my wife has not said a thing about the cook!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
Ron_L

No pictures?

Sounds like things went well! Congrats!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 07-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #11
pqbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
Oh yeah, my wife does not want to be associated with what she deems as an impending disaster, so I am looking for a quick recipe for cold slaw, and a sauce for the pork. I know I am asking alot but I have 2 missions. One to prove my wife wrong and justify the $ of my new hobby, and see the old man smile on our family visits. Thanks again to all.
I found a recipe in my Stephen Piles cookbook for cole slaw that is a little different. You use rasberry flavored vinigar and put a couple of japenos in it.

As for pork sauce I make several variations of North Carolina pulled pork sauce. It is very good.
pqbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Made the cole slaw recipe RonL posted above. Good stuff. Gonna add a little horseradish next time.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
Ron_L

That would be good. I also like to dice a tart apple and toss that in.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/