Reverse flow smoker

Day

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Started building my own smoker. Planning on RF design. What do you guys think about the RF design? Pros and Cons. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 210
Have cooked on regular non-RF offsets and cooked on 2 RF offsets. I wont have any other (than RF) now. Even heat and smoke distribution....

Have owned (3) reverse flow smokers of different sizes - great versatile pits.
Nothing like the BBQ version of heavy metal!

I already like it, a LOT! Just make sure you get the firebox right (or up-sized) and the intake & exhaust right! I'm just guessin at size, but 1 or 2 at 6 inch exhausts and good intake on the firebox will get you set up!

PS: Love them millers too!

Reverse flow is the way to go. It cooks evenly and will not cook on anything else since I got one.

I already like it, a LOT! Just make sure you get the firebox right (or up-sized) and the intake & exhaust right! I'm just guessin at size, but 1 or 2 at 6 inch exhausts and good intake on the firebox will get you set up!

PS: Love them millers too!

Demensions on the body are 3x3x5. The baffle and cut out will be 6" tall 14" wide at the burn box end. A little taller at opposite end. I was planning a single 6" flu. What size of burn box would you guess? I was thinking 24" deep 36" to 40" wide. 36" tall.

Only a Miller!!:mrgreen:

I'll let you know in about 2 weeks - mine is being built as we speak. I'm super excited about it. My understanding is that it is THE way to go! :)

I love the RF design. There is alot to be said for a cooker that cooks evenly on both sides.
Looking forward to more updates of your build.

Only thing is, if those welds are going to be made with a Miller, they won't hold smoke. Now if you had a Lincoln, that would be a different story :p

I would love to build a RF. I think I have a lot selling to do on the wife side though....

Sounds like RF is the way to go. That said, I built mine out of a 250 gallon propane tank as a single pass and I can maintain nearly even temp from one end to the other (within 5 degrees). It wasn't that way when I first built it, but I built a new firebox and redesigned the heat distro system a couple of years ago. Now it has 6 adjustable 1'x2' tuning plates. The gap between plates goes from about a half inch between the first two to about 6 inches between the last two. So single pass can work, if done right.

Sounds like you have it covered! There are plenty of calculators out there on the web if you want to check. Here is a link to one in a previous post on here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1791223&postcount=2

Can't wait to see the complete build!

Demensions on the body are 3x3x5. The baffle and cut out will be 6" tall 14" wide at the burn box end. A little taller at opposite end. I was planning a single 6" flu. What size of burn box would you guess? I was thinking 24" deep 36" to 40" wide. 36" tall.

Only a Miller!!:mrgreen:

Back