MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Default First comp in Sept...

Hi everyone. I've been wanting to try out the bbq comp thing for a while and got into the BBQ, Blues, and Brews backyard comp in Charlotte this year. I have no expectations for any trophies and mostly wanted to do this comp so that I could have fun with friends and family and get some feedback from a blind judgin group to tell me if my food is decent or if those that eat my q have no taste.

Couple of questions. This is a MIM contest and I was wondering what the expectation for turn in boxes is? Is it supposed to have the lettuce base? if so I will check out the posts on the putting green. If optional does it make sense to do the putting green? if not, thank god!

Pre comp plan to try and get ready for this is to have two cooks, writing down everything that I go back into the house for, so that I can come up with a list of everythign that I need to take with me as well as to get my times close. Thankfully I live about 15 minutes from the comp so if I do forget something I can run home really quick.

Any words of wisdom for a first timer to maximize the fun and minimize the frustration? Anything specifically that I should do during my practice runs?
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
NCSU-Q
Got Wood.

Wager, I competed in the same event last year & it was my first competition ever. I had a great time, and signed up again for this year, also in the Back Yard Grillers division...

Last year, we were not allowed to have any garnish in the boxes, but my understanding is that in previous years, garnish was allowed. We definitely need to know that going in. Hopefully they will release some rule clarifications as we get closer to the date.

Making a list is definitely a good idea... I am a bit obsessive, but I worked on my "list" for weeks prior to last years competition. Send me a message with your email address and I would be glad to forward you my list from last year... save you some time.

Words of wisdom... come prepared, have helpers (at least one good one), bring some extra food to grill up... vultures (ones you know, and ones you don't know come out of the woodwork), be prepared to be exhausted on Saturday night...
NCSU-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, I wonder when they will send that out? I've emailed but no response yet. I definitely hope there is no garnish. I want to try and keep this as staight forward as possible since this is my first try. Really, my only goals are to make the turn ins on time and hope I get a decent score and have some fun doing it.

As far as the list goes I'm going to try and make sure that I have everythng on site but I live so close that it's just a quick 15 minute trip to grab anything if I miss something. I would definintely like to check my list against yours to be on the safe side if you wouldn't mind sharing (abdshort"at" gmail.com)

Thanks for the additional advice. I definitely plan on having a bunch of food around for vultures. Not so sure about the helpers though, might be pretty much on my own in terms of the cooking but I will have a few guys around in a pinch.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'll be interested to see what the new site is like this year as well. I've walked around the downtown site for the past 4 or 5 years but it sounds like this new site should provide for some additional space and hopefully be a little flatter. I'm also hoping it is in the grass instead of on concrete the way the weather has been lately. sitting on concrete in this weather and I'm going to be more well done that the ribs.

thanks again, I'm starting to get excited.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Rule 1: HAVE FUN

Rule 2: Refer to rule 1

-------------------------

Traditional MBN (ala. MIM) sanctioned doesn't allow garnish whatsoever. They may be following that "lead" if you will. I'd definitely check. I'd hate to have someone spend the time/efforts making that perfect putting green only to get DQ'd upon turn-in.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Lake Dogs! That is definitely my #1 goal.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I've never cooked a MIM event, but in general one of the best things to do (besides having fun) is to do a full practice cook in your yard or driveway. Set up exactly like you would at the comp and go through the whole comp schedule and cook. Whenever you find yourself going back into the house for something write it down! Even if you're only 15 minutes away finding out that you forgot something at the wrong time can kill you.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Come up with a schedule and publish it. Start with turn-in and go backwards from there. In your practices make sure that you note everything that you use/touch. This will get you your packing list. Bring a 10x10 canopy and a couple of 6' tables. If you can, make extension legs from PVC pipe and bring the tables up about a foot; your back will thank you. If you can, try to do it with the least amount of technology as possible. Know that IF it can go wrong at a competition, eventually it will go wrong. Power goes out, but not when it's convenient, only at the worst possible moment. Be prepared for rain, then hope and pray it doesn't happen. Enjoy yourself, but dont get too intoxicated. Find time to socialize, especially with other teams. BBQ is a big comradere thing in general. However, dont pester the other guys... Meaning, dont ask them for their secrets. They'll tell what they want to share. :-) Also, like any bunch o guys hangin' out drinkin' and socializing, believe only about 1/4th of what they tell you. All that, and have fun.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
NCSU-Q
Got Wood.

Wager;
I just wanted to verify that you got the list I emailed you.
NCSU-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Get a dry erase board and hang it in your tent. As mentioned above, start @ your turn in times and work backwards listing all tasks. Include EVERY step. Lighting the smokers all the way thru snapping a few pics and turning in (ALWAYS TAKE PICTURES!!!). Cross them off as they are completed. Sounds like you are pretty organized, but go ahead and plan on forgetting something. It's just the way it goes! Learn by doing and have a blast!
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
sharks_guy
Knows what a fatty is.

Do everything that others have said. Practice ahead of time, and have fun. As far as written schedule, also include basic recipes. Do not overthink what you are doing, particularly when you are onsight and you start to think that maybe you should do something different. Write down a schedule and recipe and stick with it. Don't start changing rubs etc cuz you think theya re not good enough. If you want to change, change at home, not at comp.

Do you drink? As much fun as you are having,(particularly if friends are showing up) remember how much money you have spent to get yourself there, and do not drink more than the money you spent is worth to you. I see way too many teams who have spent hundreds of bucks only to get loopy and then crash and burn on Saturday. I love a cool refreshing beverage, and there is always time for a yummy bev, but I limit what I drink at comps because I spent way to much darn money to drink it away, cuz its fun.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Mazda 3 Hatchback, Copper Red
[COLOR=lime](2) Green Thermapens[/COLOR]
KCBS CBJ#54284
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/DanDBBQ/[/URL]

[URL]http://operationbbqrelief.org[/URL]
sharks_guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
mikerobes
On the road to being a farker

good luck and have fun

Southern Q Gravity Limo Cooker