• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Putting Green

How do you keep the parsley fresh and unwilted until turn-ins start? I suppose laying a couple damp paper towels on top would help, but is there a specific method?

We have put parsley boxes together as early 9 or 10pm the night before turn-in. Unless you have really bad parsley, it won't noticably wilt.

Just to put it in perspective...A buddy of ours gets his parsley direct from a wholesaler (not the grocery store). He got a whole case and used 1/4 to 1/3 of it for one contest and put the rest in his fridge. He used the parsley from the same case 2 weeks later and said that it actually looked better the second time around. Now I think he said he picks up his cases a week early and let's them sit in the fridge. Just think how long it has been sitting in the cooler at the grocery store before it comes out to the front of the store.

So letting it sit in a cool box over night isn't going to hurt much.

Paul, thanks. We use that technique this weekend on our boxes and received 171 of the 180 appearance points possible, only one 7!

Paul, thanks. We use that technique this weekend on our boxes and received 171 of the 180 appearance points possible, only one 7!

way to go on your reserve this weekend, I see Rob (munchin hogs) finally got that grand for the year too.

Congrats! I'm surprised you even got a 7.....I know there are those that are not in favor of these types of presentations, and I myself wonder if the greenery is necessary, it should be a meat contest.
Now, with that said......in 2 contests this year, and 2 GCs, we have not received a presentation score below an 8, with an average of four 9's and two 8's per catagory. Part of those appearance scores is the product itself, I understand that, but the greenery sure isn't hurting the scores at all......

Priceless knowlege there Paul.:-D

Major thanks!:eusa_clap

Mods, I'm thinking this should be put in the Road Map section.

Are you planning to use this idea somewhere? Like Kettering maybe? Still haven't received your entry and don't want to see you miss this big show :wink:

I've been practicing on this method for a couple of months now. I used it in Pine Bluff and got great appearance scores. Here is my chicken box that got my best overall score and appearance scores were 9 8 9 9 9 8:-D

I also discovered in my practice cooks that you can see a lot of things in a picture that you don't notice with the naked eye. I took pics of all my boxes before I closed them and uploaded them to my laptop. On this pic I straightend the crooked breast slice and cleaned off some of the little black thingy's that were stuck on the meat before I turned it in.

Last season I had judged and noticed a couple boxes that had beds of Parsley and overly sauced thighs and the greenery stuck so much that it had to wiped off with napkin-I brought it to the attention of the table captain and was told not to judge it down.

But I too tried the "putting green" this weekend on my Chicken and got 165 and a Second Place prize, I'd like to think the judges that gave me a 6 & 7 for Appearance knew what they were looking at because they did score it high for T & T.

I snipped up 6 or 7 bunches of Parsley the day before and did a practice box so the next day it went real smooth.

Thanks for the tutorial Paul!

I'm glad the Florida Barbeque Association doesn't allow garnish. It's saves time & money. But I need to practice since my first KCBS comp is coming up next month.

I've been practicing on this method for a couple of months now. I used it in Pine Bluff and got great appearance scores. Here is my chicken box that got my best overall score and appearance scores were 9 8 9 9 9 8:-D

I also discovered in my practice cooks that you can see a lot of things in a picture that you don't notice with the naked eye. I took pics of all my boxes before I closed them and uploaded them to my laptop. On this pic I straightend the crooked breast slice and cleaned off some of the little black thingy's that were stuck on the meat before I turned it in.

Best looking box I didn't see.

Yep, Brian is real good at making his boxes now...

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

Do you know approximately how much parsley you need per box? Just need help estimating

EDIT: I somehow missed the 2nd page and saw a comment that "He got a whole case and used 1/4 to 1/3 of it for one contest" so I guess I figured out my answer

I usually figure on 2 bunches per box.. than pick up a few extra. But it depends on how fresh the bunches look.

I don't think anywill will argue the point that parsley boxes do look wonderful. And like most I can attest that my average appearance scores went up once I started doing them. However if I could give two pieces of advice for those just converting.....
1. Depending on how you place your entry on the bed of parsley, the middle may not even be visible (this is the case with my ribs, brisket and pork) So I don't kill myself making the whole box look perfect for those entries, I just focus on the edges.

2. Boxes are usually the last thing I do prior to getting a little sleep. So, I'm already tired and in a hurry to be finished with doing them. Have an extra head of parsley for touchups in the morning. You may find yourself wondering what you were thinking when you thought the box was good enough the night before.

^^^good advice^^^

Since we put a refrigerator in our comp trailer, we've started doing boxes on Friday. They look better than when we would rush through them on Saturday. It gives us plenty of time to relax a little before things start getting hectic.

Better yet, make your boxes up before the contest using your own clamshells and transfer the greens to the contest box once you get them.

Clamshell

Better yet, make your boxes up before the contest using your own clamshells and transfer the greens to the contest box once you get them.
Where can you find the proper size/shape Clamshell:confused:? I have been having trouble locating. Thanks:p Don

Where can you find the proper size/shape Clamshell:confused:? I have been having trouble locating. Thanks:p Don

Sam's usually has some. You just can't always count on getting the same size and shape when the contest Rep gives you your boxes. 9x9 is pretty standard, but there are exceptions to that rule.

Back