If you could ask ONE question ...

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
If you could ask ONE question to ONE competition cook, and you would be guaranteed to get the true and honest answer (or at least what they believe to be true), who would you ask, and what one question would it be?

(I don't know my own yet, I'll post it when I think of it)

EDIT: I want to add a third item. How much would you be willing to pay for it?

So:
1) Who are you asking?
2) What is the question?
3) How much is it worth?

This is just for fun, but also a pretty serious question. What do you think?

Last edited:
1. Chris Lilly
2. Is MSG a component to your winning turn-ins?
3. $0.99

Though I can't think of any one cook I'd like to ask my question to, the question would be in relation to my best ribs, butt, chicken, brisket, and whole hog:

Is this any good? What would you change?

This is not meant to be a joke - I think that would be the most helpful thing for me right now.

Though I can't think of any one cook I'd like to ask my question to, the question would be in relation to my best ribs, butt, chicken, brisket, and whole hog:

Is this any good? What would you change?

This is not meant to be a joke - I think that would be the most helpful thing for me right now.

That is a good idea, but it's five questions. :p

Person: Darren Warth
Question: How can I make brisket as good as you?
Price: Bottle of Jack (or whatever is his beverage of choice)

Johnny Trigg
Can I do like Paul and come to your house one weekend for rib school?
Same price Paul paid, plus a house-warming gift...maybe a jar of corn liquor from TN (does Johnny drink? if not...maybe some apple butter)

Who- Any one top 20 at the Jack

Question- Can I come to a comp and see/help every detail of everything the entire weekend.

Price- I'd pay every detail of the entire competition. Entry fee, meats, supplies, beer, transportation. So long as it was not across the country or something out of the normal expense. Say $700-$1200

Question- Can I come to a comp and see/help every detail of everything the entire weekend.

Price- I'd pay every detail of the entire competition. Entry fee, meats, supplies, beer, transportation. So long as it was not across the country or something out of the normal expense. Say $700-$1200

damn !!.. i'd almost have to consider that !

That's a great proposition! Better than paying to go to a class...you get first hand experience right there in the heat of action! Great idea.

They'd give you the honest answer: "No. 1200 bucks please :p."

1) Who are you asking?
Not sure, but some great brisket cook like Quau, JOS, Iowa Smokey Ds, or similar.

2) What is the question?
How do you prepare your brisket, especially exact recipes for Rub, Injection and finishing sauce.

3) How much is it worth?
A comp entrance fee.

Last edited:

They'd give you the honest answer: "No. 1200 bucks please :p."

Damn, you stole my answer!

I dont know anyone really as we are just starting so I suppose;

1) The person next too me at a comp

2) Are you having a good time?

3) The price of entry fees and all the money spent practicing to get me too the comp :)

shane

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
If you could ask ONE question to ONE competition cook, and you would be guaranteed to get the true and honest answer (or at least what they believe to be true), who would you ask, and what one question would it be?

So:
1) Who are you asking?
2) What is the question?
3) How much is it worth?

I've already done it!

1) Jimmy Brod.
2) Why don't you come in out of the rain and have a seat?
3) Priceless!

Sitting down with my son and Jimmy, and shooting the breeze (about everything but BBQ) in the middle of a monsoon is one of my favorite competition memories. The BBQ stuff is nice, but the people are much nicer.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Back