Competition chicken VS at traditional homemade grilled chicken

Socks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay so after watching some competition videos and seeing a lot of the box pictures posted here of chicken thighs, I'm really wondering what's up with the lack of darkened/blackened colour. Any time I've ever grilled chicken at home it ends up a lot darker. Is it that competition chicken isn't actually grilled at all but rather cooked longer at lower temps? Is it cooked with the skinside up and never turned over?

What are the differences in method, and results?

Lemme know thanks!

I am also stuck on the # 2 part myself. Also wondering when all chicken had to look like "hockey pucks" and less like the chicken I know

I am also stuck on the # 2 part myself. Also wondering when all chicken had to look like "hockey pucks" and less like the chicken I know

I'm gonna guess that it started when word got out that judges liked the entries to look uniform, even if its at the cost of looking real.

I ask myself why I don't turn in the great tasting chicken thighs I cook for my family instead of the crap I cook that is supposed to pass for competition chicken for the professional eaters that end up frustrating me. Where some abhor chicken, I love it!

Sounds like to me you are grilling them over direct heat and not smoking them over indirect heat. At contest I would say a majority will cook them over an indirect fire. Also the technique a lot of cooks use separates the chicken from being directly in contact with the fire.

Okay so after watching some competition videos and seeing a lot of the box pictures posted here of chicken thighs, I'm really wondering what's up with the lack of darkened/blackened colour. Any time I've ever grilled chicken at home it ends up a lot darker. Is it that competition chicken isn't actually grilled at all but rather cooked longer at lower temps? Is it cooked with the skinside up and never turned over?

What are the differences in method, and results?

Lemme know thanks!

1)For the most part Comp chicken is cooked in a butter bath skin side up on indirect heat, then finished covered with indirect heat, and glazed. Some teams brown the skin or finish on grills with direct heat.

2)The differences are that comp chicken needs to look the same in color, size, and apperance.

3)The results are that competition chicken tastes sweet, savory and juicy.

Hope this helps.

i cooked a bunch of chicken wings this weekend, all the drums and wings looked to be almost exactly the same size. I've always done well not turning in the typical thigh, but all those wings had me thinking of a chicken box full of wings on a bed of greens.

Back