MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #496
alane
Knows what a fatty is.

I was interested in picking up one of these also. Does anyone know what the status of Lowe's is as far as getting more in?
alane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #497
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Lowes, Kroger, & some other places all have varieties of this cooker.
I got mine from Kroger , same price as Lowes.
LostArrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #498
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by alane View Post
I was interested in picking up one of these also. Does anyone know what the status of Lowe's is as far as getting more in?
In Minnesota check Lowes & Menards. Lowes is black with steel tables, Menards is red with wood tables. Keep in mind that my local Menards had last years model with the (not as desirable) thin steel top vent on display.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #499
Baggerhog
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I found one at a local Meier`s store. The only one left was a floor model. It was missing some nuts and bolts for the side tables. I got them to sell it to me for $230 since it was the floor model and missing two nuts and bolts. I was very happy with the deal. I got it home and replaced the missing bolts. This one is a newer model as it has the cg logo on the CI center plate and the black metal chimney vent. It has a large diameter wood handle and wood shelves. I will try to do the initial burn in tonight. I am glad I got to read this thread. I have been using a very large offset smoker even for small cooks and it is not fuel friendly. I look forward to having a personal size grill/smoker. The exterior color of this cg akorn kamado kooker is brown. I will get pics as soon as I can.
Baggerhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #500
AZ Smoker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonis13 View Post
i love mine.

comfortably fit 3 racks of loin backs on it last weekend and probably could have found room for a 4th.

That looks excellent. I wish I had a upper rack like that on my Weber kettle
AZ Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #501
Edonis13
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Smoker View Post
That looks excellent. I wish I had a upper rack like that on my Weber kettle
it works well.

for that cook i put my maverick probes at each level to see how close the temps were. the upper rack was consistently 5* higher than the normal grate level.
Edonis13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #502
RW
Full Fledged Farker

The Lowe's near me sold its initial three CGKs (I was the first buyer). When I asked, they said three more were coming. Last time I was there (Thursday), they had a new display model set up.
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #503
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks to this thread I went today and picked one of these up when visiting my daughter and grandson with my wife today. The Lowe's near us did not have one, but the Lowe's where my daughter lives did, so it was quite serendipitous. It was something of a combined birthday and anniversary gift for me, and my wife even bought me the cover that goes with it. I will be putting it together tomorrow and then burning it in. I had an original BGE for many years, but it pretty much fell apart a few years ago. Am looking forward to getting back into Kamado style cooking and smoking.
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #504
alane
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdad1 View Post
In Minnesota check Lowes & Menards. Lowes is black with steel tables, Menards is red with wood tables. Keep in mind that my local Menards had last years model with the (not as desirable) thin steel top vent on display.
I do have a Menards close by that has them, but I saw a post that said that the red ones tend to turn pink over time. Plus I have a Lowse coupon. Sounds like they are coming back in stock, and that it might be worthwhile to check with the store and not assume that the online stock status is correct.
alane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #505
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Here's the Char-griller all put together. First observations, like others have written, the quality of this is pretty high given the price point. Putting it together was pretty much a breeze, though I did tighten the parts already put together - a few of the bolts were not all the way tight. I do have a bit of play in the bottom fire door and looking at it live confirmed my suspicion from the pics post here the "markings" on the slide were slots cut in the metal with the possibility of a little air leakage around them. I think the whole bottom vent assembly would benefit from some high temp sealant. I love the "hover grill" design, that is really brilliant and adds some extra space, especially for smoking. Wouldn't mind having the "smoking stone", but I think I can pick up dog dish at Walmart that will be the right size and serve as both a heat displacer and drip pan - and they are super cheap. Have it burning in now while I have a brisket flat smoking on my Weber/Smokenator.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #506
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I have mine doing the initial burn-in now. I'm using Pan cooking spray on the cast iron grate for seasoning. It is Canola oil and I used it as the spray is quick/easy and less chance of missing spots with the oil coverage.

I don't have any type of heat diffuser in so I placed a turkey fryer thermometer in the top air vent. When it got to 550F, the CG thermometer read 370F. I put a second turkey fryer thermometer in and it measured the same as the first turkey fryer thermometer (within 5F).

BTW, I sealed the inlet air vent with the blue, ATV gasket maker and let it cure for 36 hours before I started the burn-in this morning.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #507
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
BTW, I sealed the inlet air vent with the blue, ATV gasket maker and let it cure for 36 hours before I started the burn-in this morning.
Did you take the vent off before applying the gasket maker or did you just apply it around the vent?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #508
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I took the vent off. I also removed the middle section of the air inlet vent and sprayed it with Pam cooking spray so the gasket material wouldn't stick to it. I then sprayed the side of the ash bowl with Pam around the area where the vent mounts so gasket material wouldn't stick to that either.

I reassembled the air inlet (slid the middle section back in place) and put the blue, ATV gasket making material around the perimeter of the back side of the air inlet. I also filled on each end of the rectangular opening to fill the gap between the middle, slider section and the rectangular opening.

After waiting 10 or 15 min for the gasket material to skim over, I put the air inlet back on the ash bowl and used the screws to pull the air inlet down but I didn't tighten the screws. I let this sit for a day and a half for the gasket to dry/cure. This morning I shigged the screws up and mounted the ash bowl back on the CG Kooker for the seasoning. It seems to have worked ok but I haven't yet cooked on it.

It doesn't take much air to maintain 400F - 500F. This surprised me. CG should make the rectanguler air opening only 3/8" tall so you would need to slide the air opening much further to get 450F. From what I read in this thread, barely open to closed is about 250F, 3/4" open is 450F-500F (my experience). So will 2" open run 700F? Not sure how I would measure temps that high since the gauge that came with the unit is up to 200F off at the higher temps (probably depending on how well the heat is directed toward it). I don't think I have a temp gauge that goes to 700F. My wife is at the grocery store today picking up steaks.........so I'll figure out something! <smile>
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #509
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

BTW, I bought the CG cover for my grill. It is specially made to fit the air adjustment on top of the Kooker........except they didn't allow for the adjustment lever sticking out the side of the air adjustment. So I was disappointed in the fit of the factory cover.

Cooked steaks Sat. night. Got it up over 700F and it put a perfect sear on the steaks with 3 min per side! My personal best!
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #510
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Here's a modification / add-on I made for mine for high heat searing... this does a phenomenal job with steaks and burgers using a minimum amount of charcoal...

JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado