First Comp

NRA4Life

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wife and I competed in our first comp this weekend...the Ohio Veteran BBQ cookoff in Kettering. Our goal was to learn something, not come in last, and get our food cooked and turned in on time. Well, we had a successful weekend based on our goals and even though my ribs and brisket were overcooked, we were 30th out of 51 teams. We had a good time, met some folks, learned some things for the next comp, and really enjoyed the overall experience.

One step at a time. Cooking and turning in on time are worthy goals.
Glad you had fun.
Ed

Yea your hooked now. Great job 1st time out!

Congrats on your first comp!! Our goals were very similar for our first comp...then we got hooked. Good luck at the next one and maybe we'll cross paths sometime.

Good job! Hope you had fun. We have been doing this for four years and still learn something each time we go out.

Yes, it was fun and I learned quite a bit. I'm looking forward to the next one, hope to continue learning and meeting some nice folks.

The Ohio Veteran's BBQ Ohio State Championship was our first competition as well. We have been vending at this competition the past three years, selling dips and BBQ supplies. We did both this year and had a blast. We had very similar goals. We finished 34 out of 51 and had a great time doing it. It feels good to get the first competition under our belts. Congrats to you for your finish!

Thanks Mike, congrats to you as well. It was an endurance test just cooking, I don't think I'd have wanted to tackle the vending thing as well.

Back