MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
MTHank
Full Fledged Farker

Question Montana Eggfest

Info on "Eggfest" needed... I got wind that there is to be an "Eggfest" in Missoula Montana in August. It is a couple of hours drive south of me. What exactly goes on at an "Eggfest?? " Would it be worth the 2 hour drive?? And is this a spectator thing or is this like a comp? I also hear they have some pretty good deals on "Egg's" and Egg "Stuff".

Anyway I would really like to hear from anyone who knows about these gatherings...

Thanx...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Weber Kettle Gold – 22 ˝”[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]22 1/2" UDS[/FONT] (aka 55 gal)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Smokie Joe[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The stone age did not end because we ran out of stones[/FONT]
MTHank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi Hank If you are interested in Eggs I think I would check it out. I have not been to one but pictures from them look interesting.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

An Eggfest is not a Comp, it is just where cooks get together and cook up whatever they want and pass out samples. It is a good place to check out what people do on the Eggs. As far as a 2 hour drive it depends your on interest, if want to see Eggs in action it can be beneficial. It is a nice way to kill a day, I will say, that to me some of these Egg heads are a bit stuck on themselves. Some really are not Pitmasters. But know their Eggs.

I would get a hotel and make a day trip if you could!

Link http://www.montanaeggfest.com/

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

To add to that, I have heard that they sell the eggs that are used at the event at a good price. Seem to remember like 700. But I believe you got to be ready to buy.

Two hours for some good food and you might learn something, I might do it.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think the one last year was in August. I didn't see a banner for it on the Egg forum....

Jump down to my post from today called "My first eggfest was a blast". I have some pictures and insight to one this weekend.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

I cooked at last years fest in Missoula last year and got a deal on a large. Fellow Brethren Animosity did the same. If you are thinking about getting a BGE, this is the time to do it.
Last year was the first year and the sponsor (the Axman) did a good job of putting it together. Time constraints make it more of a grillfest than smoking meats, but a great time. There was a guy next to me last year that was a pizza guru and i learned a lot from him.

Paul

Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
anamosity
Full Fledged Farker

It was a blast. Granted I live a lot closer to Missoula than you do.
But I also packed up my own egg and hauled it down there for use.
You get to meets lots of nice people and get some cool ideas for cooking on the egg.
Well worth the time and money I think.
anamosity is offline   Reply With Quote