• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comp Trailer Problem

Sticks-n-chicks

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We had our trailer at Topeka I just added and A/C and we kept blowing our power. We have a 18 cu ft. fridge and the A/C but that's about it on the power front. Any suggestion other than getting rid of the fridge to better manager power? I was running it fine off an outlet in my kitchen the weekend before. Im guessing I will need to get a gauge and see what I am really pulling. I figured 8 amps on the fridge and 12-15 on the a/c.

What kind of extension cord are you using? And how long is it?

Roof top or built in?
The AC needs a dedicated 15-20 amp on its own.
The fridge is probably just enough to kill it when it cycles.
What size and length cord were you using and whats your breaker box rated at?

We had problem with our power running the AC at Huntsville this year. I think it was their power source not being clean. Worked fine the next time out in Sevierville and it was even hotter there. Maybe nothing wrong with the trailer. Is this the only time it did not work?

Will, I doubt your fridge is running 8 amps. Its probably more like 4-6 at the most. Mine runs 1.9 amps at full load although it is smaller than yours. Were you using the hondas or comp power?

Get ahold of a clamp ampmeter and check it. Go around only the hot wire and crank up the air. Does it hold for a while? Breakers hold quite a bit more than their rated power on an overload for a while. Longer cords also add to voltage drop. When volts go down, amps go up. Further, a 12 gauge cord isn't necessarily as good as the 12 gauge wiring in a house and your kitchen is probably a 20 amp circuit which may have been bigger than the circuit you were having trouble with.

Roof top or built in?
The AC needs a dedicated 15-20 amp on its own.
The fridge is probably just enough to kill it when it cycles.
What size and length cord were you using and whats your breaker box rated at?

Will, I think that Bubba nailed it right there. I have a 30 amp setup in my fifth wheeler - no probs with A/C running with fridge or microwave. The only other thing that I can think of is how much cord did you run to what size / type of power source?

I have a 10g extension cord. Like I said ran fine from home but I will put a amp meter on it and see what it pulls.

Back