Pork butt temp confusion.....advice?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Alright guys......need a pep talk...

I've done butts about 4-5 times now on the ECB. The current cook is ongoing as I type this. And it's happening all over again........

I put the meat on at 4:00 pm yesterday. It's rocked all day & night at 225-230. I get up at about 7:30 this am to flip/turn and put the remote thermo probe in, and it goes in like butta. Immediately it shows 185. Now at this point, it's been cookin for 15.5 hours, so I'm not all THAT suprised. But here's where it gets wierd.....

1/2 hr later, I check and it's gone down to 179. At about 9:15 it's at 172. Just checked (10:40 here) and it's at 179 again.

This seems to happen every time. Either it plateaus for 1-2 hours, or sometimes drops like today.

The smoker temp has been rock solid forever. It's just in the last hour dropped to 210-215 and all my vents have been open for about an hour, so at this point I need to add some more fuel (stirred coals at 9:00 already) or just pull it.

Is this a normal thing? I can see it levelling off I guess, but I do NOT understand a 10 degree drop in meat temp. I even checked it when I flipped it this morning with a second thermo in about 5-6 spots in case I was in a fatty spot or something with the first probe...but got good readings all over within 2-3 deg.

I don't get it....... Can't seem to get to that magical 190.

Same thing happens to me - no clue why it happens, I just know it does.

It happens... There may have been a large pocket of fat or connective tissues and it took a lot of heat energy to render it. Do you need to have it done by a certain time? If you do, foil it and either kick up the ECB temp or put it in an oven at a higher temp.

If you're not in a hurry just keep the ECB temp up (you could go up to 250 without issues) and let 'er ride!

BTW, watch it closely. Now that it is out of plateau the temp may rise quickly. Also, don't focus too much on temp. Go by feel. When it is ready the probe will slide in without resistance. that could be now or it could be at 205 internal. The meat will tell you when it is done.

Right on.
I ain't in NO hurry for NObody. I just tossed on a handfull of briqs and plan to (like you said) let it ride.

The probe went in smoooooth at 7:30. The bones ready to pull right out. Nice bark. I'll just let it cruise and check often.

Thanks for the quick help. I love this place!!

The wriggling the bone is the best indicator there is for doneness on the pork..

Back