Smokey Joe Platinum with Mods

Smokin Gator

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Back in January, JD McGee posted some mods he did to a Weber Smokey Joe Platinum in the thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36147&highlight=weber+smokey+joe+platinum

Thanks to brothers Capri Man and John McD I was finally able to come up with not one but two of the discontinued SJPs. I ordered the parts needed and finally finished the mods today. Here are some pics...
IMG_1526.jpg
A shot of the inside with the 18 1/2 inch One Touch system added. You can barely see it, but the lid is upright in the slide-a-side
IMG_1527.jpg
One Touch open showing six 3/4 inch intake holes.
IMG_1528.jpg
One Touch handle and ash pan installed
IMG_1529.jpg
Tel Tru 150/750 degree thermo installed
IMG_1530.jpg
Closed up with the carry handle

I am so psyched about this little grill. It is going to be perfect for tailgating at Gator and Jaguar games!!!

Pretty cool. I am just glad it is not that annoying blue and orange. :icon_sick

You'll need to make sure to have your orange and blue (NOT blue and orange) Thermapens handy when you tailgate with this bad boy at BHGSAFF!

That thing is too purty to cook on. get 'er dirty!!

Brent--playing hooky from work??????:lol:

That will be a great little grill to add to your arsenal.

TIM

Kudos Brent and JD! I will keep that mod in mind. Do you think three intakes would be enough? Just wondering why you went with six.

Paul

As if you don't have enough cookers already! SHEESH!!!! (jealous mod!) Nice job Brent! You'll have it broken in by the first game of the season... go easy on us!

Kudos Brent and JD! I will keep that mod in mind. Do you think three intakes would be enough? Just wondering why you went with six.

I didn't even think about it... This is basically the same grill as an 18 1/2 inch Weber kettle. It has six intake holes so I put six on this one.

is the rebate still availible I saw one recently and should pick it up - if the rebate offer still stands

Nope, the rebate was only for purchases made during a 5 day or so window around Memorial Day. I didn't get the rebate either but wanted one so badly it didn't matter to me.

Sweet. I recently did the one-touch mod to my SJP (haven't added therm yet), but I haven't had the chance to cook with it yet. If I like the way that it cooks, I'll probably pick up a couple of more SJPs and work them over.

Deja-vu all over again...(Yogi mod)...nice job bro! :biggrin: Have you fired it up yet? I threw in a chimney of brigs my first trial burn and hit 550-600...perfect for searing those Friday Night Steaks! Speaking of which...I just may have to fire mine up here tonight. Enjoy you new mod...it's a good one.(IMHO) :biggrin:

Deja-vu all over again...(Yogi mod)...nice job bro! :biggrin: Have you fired it up yet? I threw in a chimney of brigs my first trial burn and hit 550-600...perfect for searing those Friday Night Steaks! Speaking of which...I just may have to fire mine up here tonight. Enjoy you new mod...it's a good one.(IMHO) :biggrin:

I am firing it up tonight for the first time. I am at my in laws in NC and brought up two nice tri-tips. I brought the grill, some lump, and the chimney... have grill will travel!!!

Thanks again for posting yours or I would have never thought of it.

Back