MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

Default I need help with tiny 4oz lobster tails

How do you guys cook these? They are tiny Canadian ones I think that I got on sale for $5 each. They were supposed to go into some mac and cheese, but since my chica won't eat mac and cheese, I thought I'd save them for her and grill them with some buffalo sirloins for me.

I always overcook the darn things, and last time I ruined bigger and more expensive ones with alder wood chips grilled on the smokey joe. The alder was way too sweet and sure was gross.

I'm planning on doing them with some small buffalo sirloins on the smokey joe - probably throw some mesquite chips in - we only like mesquite with seafood like salmon and crab.

What do you guys think - indirect to about 140? That's all I could gather from the search so far...

Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

I would grill them hot and fast with plenty of butter. They don't take long to get to overdone.
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

see lobster thermidor.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I cooked 2 small tails last time out camping and served tgem up with some ribeye steaks. I cooked them just till they were no longer translucent in color. I didn' t use a thermometer or time them I just kept an eye on them. They won't take very long to cook.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
I cooked them just till they were no longer translucent in color. I didn' t use a thermometer or time them I just kept an eye on them. They won't take very long to cook.
This. hot and fast over hot embers, no flames. Lots of butter!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
noclss2000

While I'm not one that's much for seafood, I do have a Weber grilling book that has not steered me wrong yet. They have a recipe for lobster tails if you would like:

1 1/4 cups (2.5 sticks) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

I assume you probably know how to cut these lobster tails, using shears to cut both sides of the shell length wise and then use a knife to cut them in half.

melt the butter. when melted, skim off foam. stir in remaining ingredients and heat for one minute. remove from heat and pour off 1/4 cup of the butter to use for grilling the lobster. Cover the saucepan to keep the remaining butter for serving.

Brush the meat side of the lobster with some butter. Grill the lobster tails meat side down over direct heat (350-450) for 2-3 minutes. Brush the tops of the shell with some more butter, turn them over, and grill until the meat is white and firm but not dry, 5-8 minutes more. Remove from the grill and serve with the reserved butter.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Post #2 is where to go with these

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
shawnmcchesney12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclss2000 View Post
While I'm not one that's much for seafood, I do have a Weber grilling book that has not steered me wrong yet. They have a recipe for lobster tails if you would like:

1 1/4 cups (2.5 sticks) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

I assume you probably know how to cut these lobster tails, using shears to cut both sides of the shell length wise and then use a knife to cut them in half.

melt the butter. when melted, skim off foam. stir in remaining ingredients and heat for one minute. remove from heat and pour off 1/4 cup of the butter to use for grilling the lobster. Cover the saucepan to keep the remaining butter for serving.

Brush the meat side of the lobster with some butter. Grill the lobster tails meat side down over direct heat (350-450) for 2-3 minutes. Brush the tops of the shell with some more butter, turn them over, and grill until the meat is white and firm but not dry, 5-8 minutes more. Remove from the grill and serve with the reserved butter.

Definitely do this recipe for good lobster the butter sauce is awesome!!!!!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
BecknCO

Thanks fellas for all the advice - I'll give it a shot tonight hot and fast direct with some type of butter and old bay I think!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
noclss2000

how'd it turn out?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
southpaw_1979

Cut in half lengthwise, put a skewer through the thick end, then through a sea scallop, then through the "tail fins" (not sure what you'd call them, trying to describe), so you make like a pin wheel of scallop with a half lobster tail around them. Brush with a pile of garlic butter, put on pretty high heat,shell side down till nearly done, basting with butter part way through, then flip over to finish and put grill marks on the meat itself.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
BubbyQue
Got Wood.

We do lobster at the restaurant alot on a Josper (wood fired) oven. The way I like it is to split it in half and season it simply with salt, rub some softened butter on it and grill it shell side down, the flesh should never touch the grill IMHO, cook it until it becomes opaque (for me its about 2-4 mintes) and finish it with a squeeze of lemon or lime. these guys go great with mushrooms too!
BubbyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

" I need help with tiny 4oz lobster tails"

I'm sorry, but coming from South East Texas (re: next to Louisiana) we call those size tails, large "Mud Bugs" or crayfish. We usually boil in a good crab boil mixture and chow down! Eat the tails and suck the heads.

Sorry!! Couldn't resist.

Blessings,
Omar

Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Won't eat mac and cheese?

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Lobster pasta...... concase of tomato, white wine, stock, garlic, fresh basil and veggies.YUM.