• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can a one person team realistically compete?

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey just a quick question -

Is it possible for just a one-man "team" to realistically be able to compete in local BBQ competitions? Meaning, just myself? I'm not talking about the American Royal or some of the other very big competitions, just smaller, local ones with maybe less than 50 teams (yet still "official" KCBS).

Having caught the bug over the last two months I'm thinking about a nice stick burner (or something else) but one of the factors that enters into that equation is potentially using the cooker to compete, meaning I might need a somewhat bigger cooker than what I'd typically just use at home or for church-related entertainment, for example. Like a Lang 48 vs. a 60, etc.

Post this in the competition section for better feedback. I would say yes.

Good to know....yeah, I was thinking of posting this in the Comp forum but I'm thinking of this question more from the standpoint of buying a cooker sometime in the next 3 months or so. Just trying to get some of the basics down, like size. Of course, if I do get something bigger the next question will be whether I should get the unit put on a trailer....

In Apex, NC this June the GC was Killer B's and he did it alone.

If you are looking at a LANG, I'd highly suggest a 48 hybrid (so that you have the charcoal grill up front for added firepower - pun intended).

I have a LANG 36 hybrid, but really would do a bit better with the 48 hybrid.

A lot of people do it It is a lot of work and good time management skills You have to both set and clean up too

It can be done. My best advice is practice your times and don't have "friends" just eating to hang out, they can become distracting.

It definitely works for most normal contests but something like the AR or very large contests where turrnins are farther away or crowds would make it hard to do. You might be able to do it at places like the AR if you were a box ahead of turnins in some way

can you compete? yes. are you at a disadvantage from the start? yes and no.

it is ALOT of work, not only at the comp, but before, AND after.

the upside is, you are the boss and your own standards rule.

I've been a one man gang doing comps since '87. I have been using my BarrelSmokers, two for two flavor profiles, for the last few years. At my peak I was doing 30- 35 a year. Working on my health and more sponsors to put forth a better campaign next year. Donnie Teel, Scottie Johnson, Rub, Craig Sherry, Bryan Mclarty, Fast Eddy, Bill Arnold, Jerry King, Paul Schatte, Drew McNatt, Harry Soo are just some that come to mind. Marla Twyford just won a Grand while Randy was busy somewhere else. There are hundreds more that can hold their own. So ,yes there are plenty of us. Steve.

Last edited:
Been doing it for 10 years solo now, wouldn't want it any other way. Set up takes 5-8 minutes. Can be cleaned and packed up and ready to leave one hour after brisket turn in. Like others have said more than you might think do it as a one man team. KISS.

I, for the most part, do it. I will have my wife come the morning of turn in's to build boxes, if she can. I use one pit, easy ups and my minivan as my sleeping quarters, (poor mans RV :heh:). You must get your timelines down and have your process well in hand. When I show up it takes an hour to setup and an hour to break down. I'm usually hanging with other teams and having fun by dinner time on Friday. Is it work, yes!! But you feel a great sense of accomplishment just for a single call.

Back