MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Drums run 50 deg hotter in the center than the outside edge your cooking at 300 on the thermo that is 350 in the middle sugar will start to burn at 320 add the prolonged cooking time and there ya go. If your fire wasn't right you would not get to 300 so it aint an air flow issue. I use a Low sugar rub and no diffuser in My UDS and I cook at 300 all the time. this is a pic of a Butt that is almost ready to come off the pit.

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I would like to know more about the charcoal "liner" and how intakes are setup. Pics of the intakes, exhaust, and fire basket design, along with a description of how the fire is lit and maintained would help.

I agree that a lot of fat burning in the fire can be problematic, and even I started using a pizza pan wrapped in foil as a diffuser to keep the massive flow of liquid fat out of my fire in the UDS when cooking multiple butts. When those hunks of meat start giving it up cooking at high heat, it's almost like a thunder storm. They can really pour.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Basted moral support guy
On the road to being a farker

We've done 12-13 contests with a Gateway this year, and have never experienced any "charred flavor". Is your temp staying constant? Also, how often are you having the lid off? I've noticed that the temps will raise pretty quickly when the lid comes off. How many wood chunks are you using? Those things are so easy to use that it feels like a cheat code for barbecue, haha.
Basted moral support guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Let's see your basket. It could be air flow or high sugar but with the little amount of information it's hard to discern. You said in your original post you tried different rubs, were any low sugar? Pic's of your product and setup would help us all.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

I did try a low sugar rub. I'm going to try lower temps and still use the diffuser. As far as basket goes, its the stock Gateway one. Square made out of expanded metal with a metal plate on bottom to catch ashes. Holds prob 10 lbs of coals.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
muidaq
Full Fledged Farker

Might want to try a double-decker diffuser to keep drippings from vaporizing.