MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
ColdFyre
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Nice sandwich, stop using up our tri-tip
ok, this made me laugh so hard it woke up my wife :P
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #17
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
what ? no like ?
Yea. It's a very tender cut but has little to no flavor.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Yea. It's a very tender cut but has little to no flavor.
Agree to disagree!

Or maybe you're not doing it right.

DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i'm going to have a moment of silence for Vision. I can't imagine life without tri-tip.....

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

They're flavorless, cooked at any temp, which is why the santa maria style was invented...an attempt to give them flavor. But if it floats your boat, great.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Looks delicious! Nice work!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #22
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
They're flavorless, cooked at any temp, which is why the santa maria style was invented...an attempt to give them flavor. But if it floats your boat, great.
Really? You mean the stick the meat, seasoned with some salt & pepper, on a spit over an open fire of coastal oak? That's all Santa Maria style is.

Or are you saying, if you season the meat, that means the meat is actually tasteless? (Do you use seasonings on any of your meats before you cook it?) Seems to me virually everyone on here uses some kind rub, marinade or injection. Then most also add wood chunks to their fire to add flavor. And finally most add some kind of sauce to the meat once it's ready. Does this mean we're all simply masking the fact that we actually cooked flavorless meat?

I'm not trying to argue with you but please do us a flavor and further explain your thoughts.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
ColdFyre
On the road to being a farker

Was just at a local meat market in Yorba Linda CA a few hours ago... $8.98 a pound.
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFyre View Post
Was just at a local meat market in Yorba Linda CA a few hours ago... $8.98 a pound.
I hear that's because SauceHitter is using them.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
Really? You mean the stick the meat, seasoned with some salt & pepper, on a spit over an open fire of coastal oak? That's all Santa Maria style is.

Or are you saying, if you season the meat, that means the meat is actually tasteless? (Do you use seasonings on any of your meats before you cook it?) Seems to me virually everyone on here uses some kind rub, marinade or injection. Then most also add wood chunks to their fire to add flavor. And finally most add some kind of sauce to the meat once it's ready. Does this mean we're all simply masking the fact that we actually cooked flavorless meat?

I'm not trying to argue with you but please do us a flavor and further explain your thoughts.

I thought SM style had more to it than salt/pepper.

Because of the claims on this forum I purchased two tri tips- one choice and one prime and dry aged. Both were very tender and basically flavorless. After this experience I stated to research it. It seems I'm not alone in thinking this way about tri tip. But again, if this is what you like, enjoy.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
mattkins99
Knows what a fatty is.

I haven't made a tri-tip in a long time. I'd buy them un-trimmed with the fat cap still on. I'd score the fat and let the fat render into the meat until it's done... hmmm, I'm going to have to find some tri-tip now... it's been too long.
mattkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
That part about why Santa Maria was invented is flat out not true. The true and original Santa Maria BBQ did not even use sirloin as a part of the cook. As for SM flavoring, it is a fairly straight forward salt, pepper & chile powder rub if you go true traditional on it.

As to flavor or not, I am not going to argue with you, it is your judgement and right to believe as you taste. I don't like Filet Mignon at all, won't eat it at half the price. And I get tired of people telling me it is the best tasting cut of beef, just ain't so for me. You don't like tri-tip, fair enough.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Tri tip is a great cut and it requires a little skill to get it right. Your Sammie came out great!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
SauceHitter
Found some matches.

My experience has been very flavorful but slightly chewy rather than tender and flavorless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFyre
I hear that's because SauceHitter is using them.

Trying my best, but @ 9.99/lb there is only so much I can do
SauceHitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Looks a great sandwich from here