Cold smoking salmon question

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have four salmon fillets (around 6oz each, about 1/2" thick) I want to cold smoke. I will be using the A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER (AMNTS). Can anyone recommend how long I should leave them in the smoke?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Smoke until done. :becky:

Seriously, it's all a matter of taste. Some people just cure and don't smoke at all, other traditions smoke for a couple hours at a time over several days. :shock: I usually go about 2-4 hours, but I don't have fancy-shmancy equipment.

Smoke until done. :becky:

Seriously, it's all a matter of taste. Some people just cure and don't smoke at all, other traditions smoke for a couple hours at a time over several days. :shock: I usually go about 2-4 hours, but I don't have fancy-shmancy equipment.

So Gore.... do you cure or just smoke?? Mr. fancy shmancy....

So Gore.... do you cure or just smoke?? Mr. fancy shmancy....

If I'm cold smoking I always cure. I just re-read the OP and realize this wasn't mentioned. I think if you're not curing and eating raw, then it's sushi, and you'd better ask Landarc about smoking that. :becky:

Actually, come to think of it, there are traditions in the Arctic where they will just cold smoke without curing. The smoke by itself will preserve, but the meat I had was smoked for a very long time, and it was very smoky.

Actually my intent is to smoke first, vacuum seal it for a week and then put it on the grill. I probably should have made that clear in my original post.

Brian

Depending on your tastes you may want to go lighter on the smoke to begin with and cold smoke for only an hour or so. You can always adjust for more smoke next time. Too little smoke is still edible and enjoyable. Too much smoke may not be.
I'd be curious how the refrigeration time will affect?

How did it turn out??

I'm late in replying but I use an A-Maze-N tray for Nova lox. My method involves a double cure method, rinsing, resting and cold smoking. It's time consuming but worth the trouble. Depending on what cooker you use, the smoke time could be as short as 3 hours or as long as 8 hours. HERE is the full write-up.

Thanks thideye. I was hoping you would see this thread and post. Love your new site.

Back