MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
lola
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Meat Glue

I am new to this forum, and am sure this topic has been discussed before but I can not find anything in the archives. Does anyone have any information about this method of making top of the line meat cuts out of scraps?? I have a hard time believing I just came across this, any thoughts from y'all are appreciated

thanks
Lola
Industry-Wide Use of Meat Glue Sticks Together Scraps of Meat To Sell You Prime Cuts
Submitted by Lois Rain on March 29, 2011 – 6:30 pm42 Comments

Did you know your meats contain meat glue? Just one more way food producers can sell more, while lowering the quality of what you consume. If it’s so harmless and miraculous, why didn’t we know about it before? It’s not on labels because technically it is not part of formulation of the product. That’s a giant stretch. It is not harmless…and yes, you are actually ingesting it all the time!

It creates a type of franken-meat in that it allows butchers to use the undetectable glue to piece together scraps of meat into a seamless full meat cut. England banned use of Thrombin coagulant last year. They found it mislead consumers to think they are getting a prime cut for their money, and also the original glue was made from cow and pig blood, something they didn’t think was wise in restaurant meats.

When multiple pieces are globbed together, bacteria have a better chance of growth. “If there is a bacteria outbreak, it’s much harder to figure out the source when chunks of meat from multiple cows were combined,” said Keith Warriner who teaches food science at University of Guelph.

The EU recently brought back the use of the new glue, Thrombian, or Transglutaminase, right along with Australia, Canada and the US. The FDA, of course, deems it GRAS (generally recognized as safe). The meat preparers in the video below need to wear masks when using it because, “It’s dangerous s—.”

It’s hush-hush because meat preparers are afraid to lose their suppliers and customers. The next time you buy natural and organic meat, it wouldn’t hurt to ask about its use.

~Health Freedoms

Meat Glue: It sounds utterly repellent; like some pre-industrial, rustic adhesive, but it’s actually a fine, tasteless powder that looks like icing sugar and is it makes meat and other proteins stick together like super glue. If your eating meat, chances are you’re eating or have eaten the glue at some point.

This sort of thing has been a boon to the food industry, which can now treat all sorts of proteins like meat or fish as just another material to be processed, but in the hands of molecular gastronomists it’s become a way to manipulate food in a way that would have been previously impossible. It’s possible, for example, to make tenderloin rolls wrapped in bacon that hold together perfectly without the need for twine or toothpicks. So what kind of glue is it exactly?
lola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like BS to me!!
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
azken
is one Smokin' Farker

There are over 9 million items listed when googling meat glue so I'd say it's real.
azken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

Frank, do a search on Amazon.com They sell the stuff there. I think it is what they use to glue together "Chicken Nuggets"

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelonutz View Post
Frank, do a search on Amazon.com They sell the stuff there. I think it is what they use to glue together "Chicken Nuggets"

NUTZ
Pretty much any processed meat deli meats, hot dogs, fish sticks, nuggets of all kinds. You likely eat more than you know.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/FRPubs/01-016DF.htm
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

Meat glue is a tool, like a lot of other things it can be misused.

I use it to glue my bacon to Filet Mignon and to make up pieces of my trimmed tenderloin scraps for Braciole.

Better to address the abuse than the product.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking Pigskin foil...

Meatglue...

In Deli's in Holland they cook a loaf out of fresh pork livers, which when cooked, they slice very thin and which is often used 50/50 with thinly cut Corned beef with a sprinkle of salt on a fresh white bun..

they call it "broodje halfom" ..

They steam the livers in a loaf press and use what they call "zwoerdfolie" (== pigskin foil) for it to "glue" the pieces of liver together.

The skinfoil is made out of pork skin heated to 210 F for ~ 15 minutes and then ground twice while still hot through a 1/8 " plate with some liver (9 parts skin to 1 part liver) to give it the same color as the liver.

Then they press the warm mixture in a form lined with plastic foil and let it cool in the refrigerator.
When the mix is completely cooled down, they cut it in ~ 1/8 " slices and place these in between the layers of fresh liver - and then press it in the loaf form -
this acts as a glue when they steam the liver loaf -
so the pieces of liver do not separate when you slice the loaf when it is cooled down.
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
PTSidehow
Knows what a fatty is.

This was asked of me a couple of days ago. There are a number of types of the real name is Transglutaminase enzyme it is used in a lot more products. From fish balls hot dogs and all types of processed meats, sausage, making milk and yogurt creamier, noodles firmer.

I think part of the mis information on the subject comes from the fact that it is in the human body, and has a role in a number of diseases. It is a biological polymer that are indispensable for the organism to create barriers and stable structures. Examples are blood clots, coagulation factorXIII and skin and hair.
It is processed from animal blood by fermentation.

There are a number of types available online from a variety of food and cooking supply sources.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

After doing some research on the web, I think the post the op copied is a lot of overblown hype and hysteria.

I don't think it is possible for my local butcher to take a bunch of scraps, glue them together and sell it to me as fillet mignon.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey Glen, I think enzyme is the more correct word, I don't think transglutamase is a biopolymer, although that matters very little.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I'm going to have to order some. That looks like too much fun and I'm getting bored.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

This has come up several times before and each time, I wanna try some.
But, damn that stuff is like gold.

A Kilo at about $80 is too pricey to play with.
I did find a 50 gram package for about $18.
That does about 15 lbs of meat.

At over $1/lb I gotta think this through.

I have a half deer coming for jerky.
A lot of the peices and parts are always "small and irregular" and hard to slice properly.
Thinking it would be nice to glue them together and make some quality slices.

Gotta think about it some more at that price though.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey like all things in life we have crooks & shyster that take and vantage of anything for a dollar. Meat glue is a great product that can be used for fantastic enhancement in cooking & presentation. google for uses and you will be surprised. Even the simplest of uses such as glueing the tail of a filet to make a thinker piece of meat (after glueing roll in plastic wrap for a while whilst it sticks) is useful. Forming a checkerboard by glueing white fish filets & salmon filets provides a wow factor for service.