MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Horseradish sauce

OK so I read the mayo thread, since the product in question was essentially mayo (Kraft horseradish sauce). However I didn't see the age question covered so.......

Saturday myself and MrsPimp go to a very well regarded rest. for steak. Long story short I ordered prime rib, rare of course. When my meat got to me I asked for horseradish and they brought me the aftermentioned product. I used it for a while (on french fries) for awhile before I realized that it was warm. So I'm checking the label to see if it requires refrigeration and I see the expire date

11/06/06

WTF! So what do the food safety gurus say about this? Safe or Not?

How dangerous is expired mayo type products?
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
bbqjoe
Banned

First question, did they bring you the whole jar, how were you able to see an expiration date.
Was it previously opened?
I ask this because if it was a new jar, had just been opened, it was probably sitting in a store room and I wouldn't worry about the exp. date all that much,
except for the fact that it doesn't shine a real good light on the facility.

But after my preconceptions about mayo, it seems that it is alot safer than the product of many years ago, or homemade.
Alot of expiration dates have more to do with the manufacturers idea of best flavor by, as compared to unsafe to use after.
Just like your born on date on a can of Bud. It might not taste as good as they think it should after that date, but 20 years from now it's still a can of beer.

Or maybe was it served warm in a nice little compote cup?
No telling how it was handled, but I think a nice restaurant might serve the sauce slightly warmed as compared to ice cold for a nice piece of meat.

But nonetheless, if it wasn't sitting there bubbling like it was fermenting, I'm going to guess you're ok.

Are you???
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

Pimp, I was going to say the same as Joe. Processed bottled products like this are pretty stable (unlike real mayonaise) as everything is pasturized etc. Where you get in trouble is how it is handled. If new bacteria is introduced (through hands or dirty utensil, etc) and the product is left out (temp goes in the danger zone 60F+ where bacteria likes to grow) you can get into trouble. Attached is a chart I found that shows the expiration of products and there life after the expiration. My advise is smell before you taste.
http://www.a1usa.net/gary/expire.html

http://www.a1usa.net/gary/expire.html
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I didn't get sick, I think.

It may have just been the 16oz. of prime rib that made me a little..........digestive. No trots and no vomiting.

Joe, the bottle was opened and half empty. It had been used. It was on the beverage serving area of the facility. So I saw the date and the refrigerate instructions on the label.

Cool links thanks.

Good to know that its probably safe.

Do you think the Health Dept. would have an issue with this?

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be going back there. If they serve expired mayo type products that are room temp, I'd hate to see the kitchen.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

My take on this is to go another resturant next time. If they are using that stuff as horsey sauce for prime rib, they are taking short cuts elsewhere too. Out of date stuff is a major no-no. That stuff is great on samis but I would not want it on my PR. I prefere a homemade concoction.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog
My take on this is to go another resturant next time. If they are using that stuff as horsey sauce for prime rib, they are taking short cuts elsewhere too. Out of date stuff is a major no-no. That stuff is great on samis but I would not want it on my PR. I prefere a homemade concoction.

Just for the record Bigdog, it was for me french fries. I know, I'm a weirdo. I'd rather use that than ketchup.

I like regular prepared horseradish for the meat, but didn't need any because they serve an awesome au jus (sp) that goes well with the meat.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

Pimp, good to hear your still alive, try to stay away from the expired condiments for the holidays, please.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke
Just for the record Bigdog, it was for me french fries. I know, I'm a weirdo. I'd rather use that than ketchup.
Not weird at all. I love horseradish sauce with fries, onion rings, even mozeralla sticks and poppers.

I usually just mix up some mayo, sour cream, horseradish and worcteshire sauce.

With the bottled stuff though, there is no reason that any restaurant should be using something beyond its expired or "best by" date. Glad to hear that you sufferd no ill effects.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I don't even bother with the mayo type suace when I go out. I just ask for the ground Horseradish and mix it into the aujoir(sp?) juice and use that as my dip. Good on the fries and the meat. And I can make it as strong or as weak as I want.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke

I like regular prepared horseradish for the meat, but didn't need any because they serve an awesome au jus (sp) that goes well with the meat.
Thanks for the clarification. Mayo on FF is very European my friend. Learned to love it that way while traveling in France and Amsterdam. Glad to hear that the au jus was awesome. I prefere that on my PR too mixed in with an occasional dip in the sauce.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

In my book.... the only thing that touches prime rib is my teeth.. :)

Horsey sauce goes great on roast beef sammis.

Boars Head brand makes a really good prepared one.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #12
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
In my book.... the only thing that touches prime rib is my teeth.. :)

Horsey sauce goes great on roast beef sammis.

Boars Head brand makes a really good prepared one.
Ya, but not everyone makes PR as good as you, ya farker.
Smoke on Brother KC
Old 11-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #13
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I like a 50/50 mixture of sour cream and horseradish. Adjust it accordingly.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
chad

I like a good horseradish sauce, but I'm with the guys that like just plain ground horseradish. So hot it clears all known sinuses and 3 or 4 that science haven't discovered yet!!

I usually keep a bottle of fresh ground horseradish around to make cocktail sauce for fish and shrimp.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #15
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
I like a good horseradish sauce, but I'm with the guys that like just plain ground horseradish. So hot it clears all known sinuses and 3 or 4 that science haven't discovered yet!!

I usually keep a bottle of fresh ground horseradish around to make cocktail sauce for fish and shrimp.
I too buy horse radish root, and grind my own, when available. The diffrence is astonding. As chad says, it will clear sinuses unknown to man.