Dry Rubbed Ribs.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Few nights ago there was a show that had a review of a bunch of KC BBQ joints. i dont remmeber any names, wasnt paying that much attention.

One joint looked interesting, dry rubbed the ribs by dipping them in sugar water and then dredging the racks in a bus box full of rub. The ribs come out heavly coated almost as if they were breaded.

First thought, damn thats ALOT of rub.

They cook over hickory and apple, never mop or spray.

Then when almost done they give them a mop with their sauce and then dredge them again:shock: in the rub and toss them on a hot grill for "less than 30 seconds".

Ok.. if i dredged a rack of ribs in ANY of the rubs i have, just once, they would be ruined. These guys do it TWICE! Then serve the ribs DRY. As in coated in DRY rub, slightly charred or crystalized from the final blast on the grill. I would think you'd be crunching on rub and tasting very little of the meat.

I would like to try it. Has anyone done it or seen it?? .. Need some ideas on a rub that is mild enough to do that with, without becomming overpowering. Looked good, and the patrons really raved about the place. (Arthur Bryants maybe?)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Just if someone knows what is a good HIGH VOLUME rub, i would appreciate THE NAME.

now u behave or i will be sending u a jar/case/truckful of pickles.:twisted:

Phil.....the Rendezvous restaurant down here is famous for their dry ribs and they put the rub on pretty heavy. I found the recipe online but it sure seems like a lotta salt.
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp chile powder
I tried dredging mine in rub like that and EVERYONE complained they were too hot. The rub I used was one part each of salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, chili powder and half part each of cayenne and paprika. I'm sure if I had left the cayenne out everything would have been fine but I didn't think about it at the time and just like when cooking the ABT's, I thought the heat of the cayenne would have "cooked out".

If you want to try the "actual" Rendezvous seasoning instead of that recipe above and can't get it up there, let me know and I'll send you some.

Give some of Jay's rub a try... very little salt at all in those. My guess is a lot of sugar and little salt in those restaurant ribs. If you see the show again, see if you can figure out which restaurant and I'll go check it out for you.

I wouldn't get too worked up over how they do their ribs in the restaurants. Remember ours are better anyway. At least I was told mine are better than Gates ribs.

BBQchef33 said:
Few nights ago there was a show that had a review of a bunch of KC BBQ joints. i dont remmeber any names, wasnt paying that much attention.

One joint looked interesting, dry rubbed the ribs by dipping them in sugar water and then dredging the racks in a bus box full of rub. The ribs come out heavly coated almost as if they were breaded.

First thought, damn thats ALOT of rub.

They cook over hickory and apple, never mop or spray.

Then when almost done they give them a mop with their sauce and then dredge them again:shock: in the rub and toss them on a hot grill for "less than 30 seconds".

Ok.. if i dredged a rack of ribs in ANY of the rubs i have, just once, they would be ruined. These guys do it TWICE! Then serve the ribs DRY. As in coated in DRY rub, slightly charred or crystalized from the final blast on the grill. I would think you'd be crunching on rub and tasting very little of the meat.

I would like to try it. Has anyone done it or seen it?? .. Need some ideas on a rub that is mild enough to do that with, without becomming overpowering. Looked good, and the patrons really raved about the place. (Arthur Bryants maybe?)

Daisy May's IN NYC makes a great dry rib rib. I'll see if I can find out how they do it.

BBQchef33 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Just if someone knows what is a good HIGH VOLUME rub, i would appreciate THE NAME.

now u behave or i will be sending u a jar/case/truckful of pickles.
icon_twisted.gif
Phil,
If you are looking for a larger volume rub source at a reasonable price--
Take a look at Kevin's (HomeBBQ) gallon size rubs.
I bought beef (also a great all-purpose) rub for $30--less a Brethren discount (I think that offer is still good) plus a little shipping.
Great stuff!!

Also Myron Mixon (Jack's Old South) sells his rub in 25# batches for a reasonable cost.
Also--great rub.
Chad has the details on Myron's rub supply.

If this is the info you are looking for--I am sure that there are other suppliers out there for larger batches.

In the case of Kevin's or Myron's rub--I doubt I could ever buy the spices and create a gallon or 25# for the cost, without a "bulk" supplier like they use.

VERY COST EFFECTIVE, IMHO.

Hope this is what you were looking for!
icon_redface.gif

TIM

Phil
I saw a part of the show tue. 9/27 takeing cooked ribs they covered them heavy with rub again before they leave the kitchen, then the show moved to wet ribs. I had some where to go so that was all i saw.

Travel Channel
Food Wars: Barbecue
Original Airdate--May 14 2004

Here's another recipe for dry ribs.
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/cooking/barbecue/pork/memphis.htm

And another from Rick Browne - BBQ America

MEMPHIS DRY RIBS Summary
Print this recipe:

Total Calories: N/A Total Fat: N/A Saturated Fat: N/A Total Fiber: N/A Total Carbs: N/A Net Carbs: N/A 2-3-pound slab of pork ribs
Rub:
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper
1/2 cup garlic salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. oregano
Basting spray:
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup beer
1 Tbs. A1 sauce

MEMPHIS "WET" RIBS

2-3 pound slab of pork ribs
Basting spray:
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup white wine
Rub:
1 Tbs. paprika
1 Tbs. onion salt
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne powder

The smoking/cooking method is the same for both styles of ribs.

Put a generous amount of rub on ribs, massaging it into the meaty side of the rib, and put them on oiled grill rack in a smoker for 4 hours at 165 degrees F.

Baste the ribs once or twice an hour with basting spray. When meat has pulled away from bones by about 1/2-inch the ribs are ready.

Remove them from the smoker

DRY RIBS: Sprinkle on more rub and serve.

WET RIBS: Generously coat with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve.

http://www.barbecueamerica.com/recipes.cfm?featured=94&cat=free

"Hope Chad doesnt see the 165* or he'll call the health department"

I don't have a problem with you farking up ribs - it's your business! :twisted: If you like tough, sour ribs, have at it! :mrgreen:

Bigdog said:
Shouldn't that say to 165?

Got to. more like 4 days than 4 hours to cook at 165 pit temp. Too hot to cold smoke, to low to cook.

when i said high volume.. i meant aa rub thats is safe to dredge the ribs in. Gotta be low salt.. better yet.. no salt..

wanna try this this weekend. gonna just mix my own and wing it.. or should i say.. rib it. :)

BrooklynQ said:
Hey - dont' blame me - it's a cut and paste job.

Me to bro, not blameing anyone, just commenting on the text.:-D

Back