MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First Event, looking for advice.

I am finally officially doing my first event, its a burger festival and I am keeping it simple by offering pulled pork, pulled beef and burgers along with chips and canned drinks.

I really am pretty comfortable with the pulled beef and pork, and I keep all meats 135-140 and mix in apple juice to keep it moist. I also know I can re heat these and get a great flavor when re heating.

What I am unsure about is the burgers, I do not think I can keep up cooking to order at an event like this.

Anyone want to give some advice on cooking burgers for a crowd and how long can you hold them and still have a good juicy burger.

I will have chafing dishes and a holding area on my offset that will keep the food warm, just not sure how long I can hold the burgers before they should be trashed.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

We usually hold our burger patties after smoking in a beef au jus, either french beef dip or oxo beef stock, we then put them on the flat grill to melt the cheese , and toast the bun, they seem fine for up to 4 hrs. or more and the left overs, get ground and put into Tacos or Chili The juice is filled to cover them in the pan that then goes into the steam tray, or chafing dish we hold them at around 170
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

depends on what type of burger, if you make em, add some water/bread crumb to the mix before making patties...if you buy the frozen already formed then try to stay ahead of the crowd in your smoker, as I found this cook fast and dont hold as long..
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry should have mentioned we make our own patties out of 100% lean ground no filler
Old 03-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys, we will be making our own.
This is very helpful and will cook these in stages but the last thing I want is a bunch of people having to wait too long to get a burger.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Old 03-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I am planning on using 80/20 beef, is that the standard?
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Old 03-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Not a term I'm familiar with, is that 80
80% meat 20% fat if so that will work just fine just make sure you don't dry them out on the smoker and warn everyone they are well done and the smoke turns them pink
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I cooked a graduation party several years ago for a family member of mine. It was their oldest daughters senior graduation party.
I had their home danged gasser and a case or more of 3/8 inch thick frozen patties. They invited 200 guests. I was going as fast as possible, burnt some burgers but they were all done. We ran out of propane as we only had one 20 # tank.
Honest to God I have no idea how you can make/shape the burgers and cook them at the same time. But I wish you the best of luck
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I cooked a graduation party several years ago for a family member of mine. It was their oldest daughters senior graduation party.
I had their home danged gasser and a case or more of 3/8 inch thick frozen patties. They invited 200 guests. I was going as fast as possible, burnt some burgers but they were all done. We ran out of propane as we only had one 20 # tank.
Honest to God I have no idea how you can make/shape the burgers and cook them at the same time. But I wish you the best of luck
They will be made before the event, probably the night before.
I am planning on putting the burgers in shallow pans so I can take them on and off in groups rather than singles. Also the pans will not allow them to take on too much smoke.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
ROF, Texas
On the road to being a farker

You might also look into renting a "Cambro" or similar food warmer/holder. We use the "Rubber Maid" brand, add a pan of boiling water on the bottom rack and you are good for up to 5 hours.