Brisket - Texas Style BAR-B-Q

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We're doing it wrong!

Who knew? :doh:

I picked up a 16lb brisket at one store and a 12lb at another. This was on the 12lber.... :crazy:

IMG_0977.JPG

Hmmm...Cook it whole, leave fat cap on....ok. Let's take a look at this recipe on the back...

IMG_0978.JPG

:shock:

:confused:

Never mind low & slow

Forget hot & fast

Texas Style BAR-B-Q is Slow & Fast!!

:mrgreen:

I think this is a hoot, whod a thought?
So all you Texas guys, tell me what's up with this:
I was cooking in a major contest when a Texas fellow stopped by to ask if I was cooking a #24 Brisket. I had no idea what he was talking about so he told me the best Briskets cooked in Texas had at least 2 inch fat cap, the bigger the better. Huh?

"You may want to vary this recipe with your own BAR-B-Q Skills." :thumb:

"For best results use a meat thermometer"

Does that mean as opposed to not using a therm at all or do they mean don't get that one from the medicine cabinet? That could go really wrong. :shocked:

Does that mean as opposed to not using a therm at all or do they mean don't get that one from the medicine cabinet? That could go really wrong. :shocked:

Have to make sure you hit the "170F for medium"

Don't think a rectal thermo goes that high....

I think this is a hoot, whod a thought?
So all you Texas guys, tell me what's up with this:
I was cooking in a major contest when a Texas fellow stopped by to ask if I was cooking a #24 Brisket. I had no idea what he was talking about so he told me the best Briskets cooked in Texas had at least 2 inch fat cap, the bigger the better. Huh?

I think that Texan had to many bud lights, I cook 10- 15# whole briskets and don't really care to cook a 24#der ever. Supposedly the best brisket cooked in the USA are done right here in my city and they are all about 10-15# at Franklin s BBq As for the OPs post ya'll know that that's just marketed to people up north you wont find that on the shelf's here in Texas, and we do have vehicles we don't all ride horses

I think that Texan had to many bud lights, I cook 10- 15# whole briskets and don't really care to cook a 24#der ever. Supposedly the best brisket cooked in the USA are done right here in my city and they are all about 10-15# at Franklin s BBq As for the OPs post ya'll know that that's just marketed to people up north you wont find that on the shelf's here in Texas, and we do have vehicles we don't all ride horses

Funny, I live in Maine and haven't seen this on any shelves here either.

IMG_0977.JPG

Take another close look a the shape of the cross-section...

Brisket in a can... like Spam? :shock:
Brisket in a loafpan... ala cupcake chicken? :confused:
Does Myron Mixon know? :wink:

Back