MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
coltleader5
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default My husband's bday gift

My husband has two great joys in life. The first being BBQ and the second being the outdoors. I think I figured out a way to combine both for his birthday present. I want to build him an outdoor kitchen. I don't even know where to start so I need some help/advice. Has anyone ever tried to do this? I just did some searching online and found one website that could supply some of the outdoor kitchen stuff but what about the other aspects like plumping, the grill, etc? Which grill would be best for his BBQ habits? Thanks for any help you can give me!
coltleader5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Does he smoke meat or just grill it?
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

If you are not his number one joy in life, then you should marry me.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Outdoor kitchens are great. I would love to have one, so I would not be running in and out of the house to prepare a meal with BBQ.

There are a lot of components that you can buy that are modular, sort of like kitchen cabinets at Home Depot. You'll need some craftsmen for things like tile work, plumbing and electrical, unless you can do that stuff yourself. But, if you can buy modular cabinetry and build upon that, you can probably save a lot of money over having it built from scratch.

I would focus on the stuff other than the BBQ gear, like a small fridge, perhaps a one or two burner cooktop, and most of all, a sink and countertop space for food prep and cleanup. That's what I would want, and as a luxury, a good ice-maker -- one that makes ice cubes, not those annoying crescents.

In fact, if he is a serious BBQ nut, don't build the grill/smoker into the kitchen, as he may want to change cookers over time. Focus on prep, clean-up and other things that make it possible to prepare an entire BBQ dinner right there on the spot.

I think it is a great birthday Idea.
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Contact a local mason with ODK experience.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I noticed this is in Indiana. Is this going to be housed? Your winters are as bad as ours in Illinois. Frozen water lines could be a problem. Maybe there is a way for it to be open air during the warmer months and enclosed during cold weather and still have everything you need for your outdoor kitchen area.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I noticed this is in Indiana. Is this going to be housed? Your winters are as bad as ours in Illinois. Frozen water lines could be a problem. Maybe there is a way for it to be open air during the warmer months and enclosed during cold weather and still have everything you need for your outdoor kitchen area.
You just need to have a water shut off valve inside the house, and drain the water lines when the weather is too cold.

CD

Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I would love it if my wife wanted to do the same for me, but to be honest about it, I would really want to be totally involved in the layout and design. Outdoor kitchens are very personal things.

Just saying........

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
smokinin614
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Maine View Post
If you are not his number one joy in life, then you should marry me.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Campfire Girl
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I would love it if my wife wanted to do the same for me, but to be honest about it, I would really want to be totally involved in the layout and design. Outdoor kitchens are very personal things.

Just saying........
I think Smells is right. Surprise him honey with the idea, maybe his first smoker. That is if he smokes. You do look don' you?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
caseydog

If you have been married long enough, I think you know how to pick his brain without having to have him involved in the build. I think you can surprise him and get it right.

Just figure out what he would want to do in an outdoor kitchen, and build around that.

CD

Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
LMAJ

I agree - I think you get some basic ideas, and a budget and then get him involved. As much as I would love an outdoor kitchen, and as much as I loe Big Al, I wouldn't want him making all the decisions on that one.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
lazy butt
On the road to being a farker

what a great gift for your to give your husband. do you think you can talk to my wife lol

Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Its fantastic that you would do this but unless you are sending him out of town for a long period of time I don't know how you can pull it off without involving him. I know my lovely wife, as much as I love her would not have a clue as what I would want.

We have an unspoken rule, I don't buy her jeweler or clothes and she does not buy me tools or bbq equipment.
Dave

Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
NorthwestBBQ

I would highly recommend you save your money and buy him the 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain.

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote