Norco you are a genius. What kind of a welder did you use for your holes - and how did you get it so clean....

Norco you are a genius. What kind of a welder did you use for your holes - and how did you get it so clean....

I am using My Hobart Handler 140. Mig welding with gas. Not as great as it may look. Not terrible either, gonna keep my day job. Practice! You still have the Harbor freight welder? It has only High low correct? See more expensive welders have multiple settings. Mine has position click but would prefer reostat for more infinate control like Miller or Linclon. High/Low could be partially why you have burn through.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306073_200306073

Norco,

I am planning on picking up a 30 gallon drum today in Riverside. Want me to pick one up for you? I want to build a smaller, one as well as a 55. I am willing to let you help me put them together in your backyard! :cool:

Last edited:
I should have my drum next week and will follow these exact steps!

Thanks much.

Hey Norco, do you think the nipples can be brazed on with some silver solder sticks as opposed to welding on? Just wondering.....

Funny, that's exactly how Wyatt did his!! Are you trying to capitalize on his plans??:rolleyes::shock::biggrin:

If the nipples thread in clean do you need to weld them?

Hey Norco, do you think the nipples can be brazed on with some silver solder sticks as opposed to welding on? Just wondering.....
They thread in nicely. I weld them because some day the cap will seize due to heating, cooling and general rust and unscrew nipple. I am going to post other options in a link from thread. Swamp , Bub, WHO are contributing to info. I want to make a clean flowing tutorial on basic build with links to alternative methods.

Actually a spot weld or a simple braise is all that is needed. It is not to seal, just keep from backing out. I weld because I can. Matter of a fact i owe a lot of Brethren for their votes that won me a Miller welder.

Got to cook for girl scouts plus work so may not add much this weekend. Oh wait MIL in the house, I can snooze at work. :twisted:

Last edited:
Alternative to Welded nipples.

You can thread nipples in and use conduit nuts to lock them in.
Nuts come in bag from Home Depot/Lowes, ect. Found in electrical section.

IMG_3051.jpg

Tighten like this (Primitive Pete mod.)
You are just locking them in not pounding home.

IMG_3052.jpg

Or you can use Plugs. (Thanks Swampb.)
Plugs are drilled and screws and double nuted for easy removal.
Also in electrical isle at Home Depot/Lowes.

100_2254.jpg

100_1642.jpg

100_2109.jpg

Last edited:
Back