• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
First timer

Like most first time posters I’ll say how impressed I am with this board and I am really impressed with this thread on the UDS.

So impressed that I had my friend order me a new un-lined open lid drum so I can build my own.

Currently, standard 55 gallon un-lined drums are $55 new and he is checking on larger drums as well.

It may take me a few weeks but I’ll show my progress for all to see.

I just wanted to show my appreciation for all the information on this board.

Thanks guys!

Sincerely,

The Chairman

Welcome drummer just jump in with any questions and someone will be glad to help.

Two 3/4 in and one 2'' out. If after a few cooks that's not enough then add whatever ya like.

My First Drum

My first drum is finished and in the process of being seasoned.

The pictures.
1) The original drum.
2) After the burn out (had to do this twice, once with a weed burner and a second time with some hardwood firewood I had from a camping trip)
3) After the wire wheel.
4 & 5) Rubbed with peanut oil and ready for seasoning.
6) The finished drum.
7) The proud father of his first drum!

She is holding steady at 310 for seasoning. Probably let her go a few hours. I want to thank everyone on this forum for all their input and help. I have no doubt this is not going to be my only UDS, just my first!

Attachments

• IMG00055.jpg
    IMG00055.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,885
  • IMG00068.jpg
    IMG00068.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,888
  • IMG00070.jpg
    IMG00070.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,893
  • IMG00072.jpg
    IMG00072.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,892
  • IMG00073.jpg
    IMG00073.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,887
  • IMG00074.jpg
    IMG00074.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,891
  • IMG00075.jpg
    IMG00075.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,889
It wasn't easy to get it that way either. Ended up putting a 6" wire wheel on my high speed tile saw and crawling inside. My wife almost wanted to hose me off out back before I came in the house.

Nice drum!!!!
Love the Denver Broncos colors.
LOL just kidding about the colors.
A new drumhead is born. Now show us some pron!!!!!!

It wasn't easy to get it that way either. Ended up putting a 6" wire wheel on my high speed tile saw and crawling inside. My wife almost wanted to hose me off out back before I came in the house.
Next time try one of these on a 1/2" threaded rod double nutted to capture. Use a drill and you can run it up and down inside .
91279.gif

The pictures.
1) The original drum.
2) After the burn out (had to do this twice, once with a weed burner and a second time with some hardwood firewood I had from a camping trip)
3) After the wire wheel.
6) The finished drum.

She is holding steady at 310 for seasoning. Probably let her go a few hours. I want to thank everyone on this forum for all their input and help. I have no doubt this is not going to be my only UDS, just my first!

Quick question, what did you use on the intake to regulate the flow of air? I can't make out what you used from the pictures. I'm making one of these soon and have purchased 1/2" nipples and simple ball valves for the bottom, but your's looks a lot cleaner. Thanks

I would go 3/4".
Will do, thanks for the help. Simple ball valves a good idea? I'm a little concerned because they would stick out a few inches all around, but would be handy to close off any/all of the intake. I'm thinking four around the bottom.

Will do, thanks for the help. Simple ball valves a good idea? I'm a little concerned because they would stick out a few inches all around, but would be handy to close off any/all of the intake. I'm thinking four around the bottom.

3 intakes are plenty and you only need 1 of those to have a ball valve! :wink:

3 intakes are plenty and you only need 1 of those to have a ball valve! :wink:
So two intakes can stay open all the time and the temp can be moderated with just one valve?? That is good to know. I thought the intake would be stronger than that, but this why I'm here...to learn from those that have walked the path before.

P.S. I'm pulling for a Pen's win tonight...I don't want this series to be over with yet!!

Agree, only 1 valve needed. I personally use close nipples. Easier to clean inside and not have to scrape build up and dodge them.

Agree, only 1 valve needed. I personally use close nipples. Easier to clean inside and not have to scrape build up and dodge them.
Looks like I got lucky, those are ones I picked up as well. I got 1/2" before, but will be exchanging those for 3/4" on your previous recommendation.

The pictures.
1) The original drum.
3) After the wire wheel.
6) The finished drum.

I saw the colors and thought, Where's the "I"? Then I saw where your'e from and realized how accurate my thought was. You need a decal of The Chief!!

There's a good source on drums down here in Mattoon for $10 each if you're in search for more.

Back