Weber mini chimney? I never knew such a thing existed!

My progression went like this:

- newspaper (lots of flaky ash that the wind would carry...didn't always light the charcoal well)
- newspaper coated in oil (still lots of flaky ash but did better at lighting the charcoal)
- paper towels soaked in oil (less ash and more fine...less prone to wind drifting)
- Weber starter cubes (I don't plan to stray from this...they work perfect every time, IME)

I used to use news paper before the Performers

Now i use my propane assist on my Weber performers to light everything.

We use one of these while competing all the time.
The regular size chimney starter is too big to fit in the Jambo door.
THIS one, however, works nicely.

In general, I thought it was pretty much a waste of more money originally.
My thought was, "If I want to light less charcoal, I don't need a smaller chimney to do that."

True enough.

BUT, never thought that my "standard sized" one would be too big, but it is indeed (at least for lighting the Jambo).

We use one of these while competing all the time.
The regular size chimney starter is too big to fit in the Jambo door.
THIS one, however, works nicely.

In general, I thought it was pretty much a waste of more money originally.
My thought was, "If I want to light less charcoal, I don't need a smaller chimney to do that."

True enough.

BUT, never thought that my "standard sized" one would be too big, but it is indeed (at least for lighting the Jambo).

Damn Jambos and their small doors... I knew there was a flaw!:becky:

I saw one about a month ago. I decided not to buy one.
I have two of the larger ones plus two of the cheapy ones.
on one of the weber ones I flipped the grate so the cone
faces down and it works perfectly for small loads.
saved the $$$$$$ for a new grate for the cga.

Mini Chimney
3" - peak height of charcoal cone
1 5/8" - lower edge height of charcoal cone
5 5/8" - chimney diameter
8" - chimney height

Regular Chimney
5" - peak height of charcoal cone
2 3/4" - lower edge height of charcoal cone
7 3/8" - chimney diameter
12" - chimney height

Mini Chimney
3" - peak height of charcoal cone
1 5/8" - lower edge height of charcoal cone
5 5/8" - chimney diameter
8" - chimney height

Regular Chimney
5" - peak height of charcoal cone
2 3/4" - lower edge height of charcoal cone
7 3/8" - chimney diameter
12" - chimney height

Perfect. Thanks. Definitely sounds like it would light even easier with a starter cube underneath.

Mine starts no problem with a starter cube.

Great size for the Mini WSM and even for the big one when I don't need as many coals lit.

It also fits inside the Jumbo Joe for taking away. :-D

I have also never had a problem lighting my larger chimney with a starter cube...

Maybe I just have bad luck with wind or some bad cubes. Mine have a habit of extinguishing.

How do you guys light your chimney? Newspaper, cubes, torch??? I had an electric element and it lasted like 2 times before it melted. lol Probably should have been paying better attention. :laugh:

I use SureStart fire starter squares--I cut one in half, space them out a little on the grill of my smoker (which I have removed from the firepan-holder bottom, and set on the fireproof tiles of my smoker "platform"), light each, set the chimney over them, then give the chimney a quarter turn in 5 minutes or so...lights the charcoal quickly and quite evenly. (But one whole square in the center works well too.)

A large box of 144 is $20.76 on Amazon--about 15 cents a light, which seems cheap to me, but someone else may have gotten a better deal on their starters.

http://www.amazon.com/RED-DEVIL-Fir...r=8-1&keywords=surestart+firelighting+squares

I sit my full sized chimney on my $50 60k BTU propane burner (about 12 times stronger than a typical gas grill side burner) and ALL of it gets lit up and ready within 2 minutes :) I run the flame at full blast for like 1 minute and after another minute it's ready :)

I have my lil' mini wsm ready in 5 minutes.. and about another 5 mins or so to heat up after the coals are in it.

Thanks for all the feedback. Since the fear of Man Card revocation has been soother, I've added to Mini Chimney to the Christmas list. The Better Half was practically ecstatic as she now has a reason to go back to the aforementioned hoity toity home furnishing store. thanks!

Back