MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Default Todays Butt and Shoulder cook PRon

Have my cousins Confirmation today and decided to cook up some PP since it has been awhile since I have. My butcher already separated the shoulder from the boston and was the last he had so I made due.

8lb shoulder 8lb butt.

Injected early this am with apple juice, vinegar, flavor enhancer and salt. Let it sit in the fridge for about 2.5hrs and rubbed her down with some Butt Rub (first time using it so we will see how it tastes.

Cooked with oak wood at 250* for 4 hours on smoker

Cooked for about 4hours until we hit 165* internal and I placed in foil pan with apple juice, some Parkay and a little more Butt Rub. Then back in until they reach 195* internal then the next step

Didn't have any injection pics but have pics of before the cook after injection and pics before it went into the foil

More to come

Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
smokeinthenoke
On the road to being a farker

Lookin' Good!
smokeinthenoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

off to a great start, now fire em up.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Looks good so far!

Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

looking good

Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Here we are after the glaze was on and out of the cooker. Unfortunately we had to run to the party and no pictures of the pulled pork. The cook came out great, however I wish I left it in the smoke for a little longer than I did to get some more smoke flavor and this could would have been a classic example of cooking to touch/feel instead of temp. I pulled these at 205*, the bones did come out with a twist, but not quite tender enough that the pulling just fell apart, but due to the rush I had no choice. Regardless it was a huge hit which turned into the midnight snack for everyone. Managed to save some to put on nachos today

Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Looks mighty fine to me. I do prefer my butts/picnics to look a bit darker than that though. I like barky bark.

The protruding bone tells me they should of been done. 205 tells me they should of been done. I do tend to rest for 2-4 hours, which will help them relax for pulling.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Looks mighty fine to me. I do prefer my butts/picnics to look a bit darker than that though. I like barky bark.

The protruding bone tells me they should of been done. 205 tells me they should of been done. I do tend to rest for 2-4 hours, which will help them relax for pulling.
I agree, I foiled it early as I wanted to make sure it would be at my target temp on time, thats the problem when you need to rush bbq... Exactly as the bone was protruding, skin was starting to split and the 205 temp I thought I was there. When I handled the meat to put the glaze on it did feel tender but I could definitely tell it wasn't at the sweet spot. Regardless it went over very very well and made me remember how much I love smoking butts