I saw a Komodo Kamado in person today.

I posted a photo of one of the first ceramic smokers ever made.
I think that's educational!

Right - because God forbid anyone here have an opinion contrary to yours.

Opinions are great. But they don't need to be delivered in an insulting way. I don't think I've read any of the people here who like their KK's putting down any one else's opinions. Must sour grapes come with an attitude?

I specifically paid to be a member of this forum because, unlike some of the others, that kind of plain rude, obnoxious behavior didn't happen here. I'm with one of the other posts, makes me rethink re-upping.

Really Guys!!!! Grow up!!!!
I gave my advice early in this thread based on research. At the time and almost pulled trigger on one 15yrs ago thinking this is something I can pass on to the kids but the company started to have problems with quality so I opted out.
Look There is no reason to bash and be disrespectful to the OP!!!

I did a bit of looking and I think It is the same family/folks making them now.
Would I buy one? I dunno. It would be nice but I don't need it.

Seem that there a lot of folks down on there luck lately (myself included) that are angry that somebody can do something they want

Not Cool!!!!

I'm not down on my luck, but then again I'm not superlazy. I could afford one if I wanted, it's just too "pretty" to suit my taste. There's probably a good market for them in California though.

I'm not down on my luck, but then again I'm not superlazy. I could afford one if I wanted, it's just too "pretty" to suit my taste. There's probably a good market for them in California though.

Ya maybe so, If I dug deep could I do it these days.... but that's not the question. If he has the the cash to do so.. What is wrong with that?

It is his money not yours ( jealous much?)

Dude can do what he wants with his money. Where did I say he couldn't? I'm expressing MY OPINION.

BTW, you might want to read your last post. Not making much sense there.

Six pages of taunts and retorts, but only 1 measly pic of a KK??

Would love to see more pics from current owners... cooks, cookers, setups, etc. Would be educational (and enjoyable) for all I think.

With all do respect, there were many good posts not knocking the KK.
Just because there was only one photo of the product does not mean everyone else was bashing the product. Most just had a problem with the cost of the product. Not the product itself.

There is nothing wrong with a little bit of constructive criticism.

I'm out. Have a safe trip to Bali Lobsterbake and hope you enjoy your KK and that it lasts you a lifetime. I'll be on the lookout for a review on it.

wow... WTF is wrong with some of you folks?...

keep the bashing to zero.... support his decision, or offer constructive criticism, but pissin on his shoes, or being a general azzhat is not permitted,m and not in the spirit of our forum.. like mom says, have nothing nice to say, say noting.

lighten up.

INMHO this a monster thread about choice. I was really naive when I purchased a ceramic cooker. But I can cook. The most basic grill can produce wonderful results in the hands of a skilled cook master. I hesitate to use the word chef as I am a former restaurateur and loathe the chef attitude. Who really cares what you cook on if you can produce results. I have seen many a fellow brethren state that they have a open fire pit with a grate. Last week I was at a birthday party for my 1 year old Grandson. I brought meat for the grill and when I got there they're gasser wouldn't work. No problem....went into the kitchen, took the racks out of the oven, set them over my daughters fire pit, set the gasser grates on top using a few bricks to elevate the cookin surface and boom.... we were in business. Some of you have read my posts particularly about pizza and I am a major proponent of simple. The more simple your approach is to cooking the more stellar your results and reviews will be. If you feel the need to buy the latest and greatest equipment available, more power to you. I applaud your spirit. I too have looked for answers to my burnt out gasser's burners and have bought a ceramic grill and still replaced the gasser's burners. I look at my gasser as a fast and furious or hurricane relief cooker alternative. But in reality...will this be the last cooker standing, I doubt it! Will I continue to invest or construct fire breathing, smoke ingesting cauldrons of joy? Oh God I hope so! No more words!

ADMIN NOTE: ok.. I just spent 15 minutes scrubbing the bullchit in here.. 15 mins i cant have back.. In having to re-read this twice just to referee the childish insults, i found several members were very close to earning a timeout.. but since we were not here for the entire pissing contest, and just like smacking the dog a day later for crapping on the carpet does nothing, a lockout at this time is useless..

but rest assured, we dont tolerate chit slinging for sport.. offering a respectful opinion(even if negative) is constructive, but telling folks they have more $$ than brains(which BTW, I fall under, even if its only $20), is bullchit.... as well as a few other useless 'sasquatch like ' comments..

be warned.... more chit slinging WILL earn you a 3-7 day lockout..

Do these things hold heat at 235 for 85 hours without any more fuel? I saw that temperature a few pages back and was wondering. If so, that is heat retention along the lines of a domed Neapolitan pizza oven and that would be impressive since the walls on one of those ovens is pretty darn thick and this thing doesn't look much thicker than a BGE. I'd like to see a pizza some out of it at 900 degrees and see how it cooks. It it can hold high temps in the dome then this this might be a viable smaller and portable alternative to a wood fired oven and still offer the ability to smoke low and slow. All on one setup, although pricey. Then again, a wood fired oven isn't exactly cheap to build or buy either along with having to buy a separate smoker.

Just throwing that out there and I may be completely mistaken in my thought process.

but it cooks absolutely no better than a BGE or a KJ at five times the price. I guarantee you it isn't half the smoker a basic UDS setup is.

I find it hard to believe you don't know that a super insulated cooker performs better than a glazed ceramic pot or a basic UDS..

From the well respected Naked Whiz website..
Naked Whiz Review
Cooker Efficiency
"One of the tests that we have performed in the past using a large Big Green Egg, a Kamado Joe classic cooker, and our 2006 Komodo Kamado is to heat the cooker up to 400°F, controlled by a BBQ Guru temperature controller, and then measure the surface temperature of the cooker at various locations on the dome or lid after 2.5 hours.

We used a BBQ Guru ProCom4 controller to keep the cooker at 400 degrees (dome temperature) for 2.5 hours. We then measured the surface temperature of the cooker at various locations on the dome, from the lower edge up to the upper vent, using a Type K thermocouple precision surface probe. The temperature of the dome on the Egg varied from 180 degrees at the lower edge of the dome to 245 degrees at the top of the dome near the upper vent. The Komodo Kamado was fairly constant around the lower part of the dome, from 150°F to 155°F. (There is no insulating layer around the lower edge as this is where the internal band is and structural refractory material is required to hold the band.) Higher up on the dome where there is an insulating layer, the temperatures were lower, approximately 130°F. At the very top of the dome near the chimney, the temperature was a mere 125°F.

So while the dome of the Egg was scorching hot to the touch, you could leave your hand anywhere on the Komodo Kamado's dome for at least a couple of seconds. Clearly the Komodo Kamado is keeping far more heat inside the cooker and of course, the exterior of the Komodo Kamado stays at a lower temperature should one come into contact with it." End Quote.

Do these things hold heat at 235 for 85 hours without any more fuel? since the walls on one of those ovens is pretty darn thick and this thing doesn't look much thicker than a BGE.

One 20lb bowl of charcoal burned for 85 hours, the walls are almost 2" thick with, vermiculite, high tech Aerogel and an acrylic insulation with ceramic spheres. You can easily touch outside when the dome temp is 750Âş The 23" weighs 588 lbs and the 32" weighs 954 lbs (128 of that 304 Stainless)

Komodo Kamado Picts

Six pages of taunts and retorts, but only 1 measly pic of a KK??
Would love to see more pics from current owners... cooks, cookers, setups, etc. Would be educational (and enjoyable) for all I think.
Big Bad 32"
KK-32-closed72.jpg

KK-32-Open72.jpg

KK-32-SideOpen72.jpg

KKrearClosed72.jpg

32" and 23" main & upper 3/8" Stainless grids
DSC00917.jpeg

23" Ultimate
KK23-ClosedFrontX.jpg

KK23OPenFrontX.jpg

Inside a 23" KK
IMG_2421.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

IMG_2429.jpeg

32ef7428a19a1ccdf9f43bb2bf0cc27e.jpg

3724f28d0cfdb8671740359d9db8cfec.jpg

43d914fa46c527dad902755fd8d6978b.jpg

Pizza at 900F

Folks, we did 3 pizzas yesterday and measured the results:

When the KK reached ~900F (very little heat soak other than coming up to temp) it took just over 5 minutes (could have cooked a little longer--but it was still good).

The next pie went on at ~750F (although the temps did shoot back up) and took slightly less time.

We held off on the last pizza until I started getting those "I'm still hungry looks" from the crowd and it was slightly over-cooked at ~900F at ~3 minutes.

With the pizza stone, a 45-minute heat soak at ~900F would likely yield a good pizza in about 3 minutes or slightly less.

My wife said we did a thin crust pizza recently at ~700F and it took about ~7 minutes.

I suppose the heat soak (and maybe crust depth) could be the missing variable.

To be clear, this is the first time we have ever cooked more than one pizza on the KK (over the last ~3 years). Regardless, in our normal mode of operation, we typically get the KK up to temp (~900F), throw on the pie, and enjoy a great pizza in about 6 minutes.

People were asking for pics so here is mine with some gyros meat cooking away. The yard looks like crap but my KK is as pretty as ever:razz:
image-25.jpg

Last edited:
Back