THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
So i decided to defrost a half of turkey breast and piece of ham that I smoked from Thanksgiving '12. I tried slicing them but they seemed watery. Anyone have any experience like this? Do you slice then freeze?

Any thoughts and assistance are appreciated.

Freezing can change the texture a bit like you describe. Was the food otherwise OK?

With long term freezing the moisture can migrate out of the meat (freezer burn) and I use a FoodSaver (vacuum sealer) to minimize that.

Using frozen (raw) meat and freezing the resulting smoked meat are sometimes necessary. I can't eat eat everything I get from one batch in the smoker so freezing is a necessity. By the time I've reheated the smoked meat, it seems nearly as good as when it was fresh out of the smoker.

When I have leftovers to freeze, I cool, slice, and add any other necessary ingredients and then Vac-Seal. I then simply re-heat in water to the desired temperature in the bag and then plate / pan to serve.

These were already cooked and I used a Foodsaver. Both had a watery taste but were "ok" otherwise. Oh well. Maybe 2.5 months in the freezer was too long? Maybe they defrosted a little then refroze (i did have an episode where the freezer lost power for about a day but i didnt think anything thawed)....

Back