MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

I am the master of my pit. I think that I make good Q, and can usually handle any situation that arises. Do I have all of the answers? No, but I don't think anyone knows everything. I believe that if you are cooking good food for friends and family, you are the master of your pit.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
MilitantSquatter

Oh wait... but let's not forget about the legendary Pitmaster T.

he is the real deal.... just a freak of nature... I heard a rumor about him once that he just slapped a pork butt with his pimp hand and it got so hot, the bone pulled out and it was done....

XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #33
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

^^I heard that too Vinny.....and I believe it, Brother! The Funk is a strong force.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #34
Tnbbqr
Found some matches.

Am I a postmaster.... Not by a long shot! But love to cook anything on a grill or smoker for friends and family! Not a better feeling in the world than to watch people pig out on something I have cooked!
Tnbbqr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm workin' on it... I can cook on WSM's, BGE's, MAK's (Pellet Pooper), Gassers, Kettles, and UDS's...have yet to cook on a stick burner...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #36
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I cant say, I would like to leave that up to the people who enjoy my cooking.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #37
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Until I start being confident rather than nervous about the outcome when I start the fire, l'll never consider myself a pitmaster. Thanks in large part to the Brethren, I am becoming more proficient with my stickburner, WSMs, gasser, and charcoal grills. I think pitmaster is one of those revered titles that must be bestowed by others. (My sig pretty much sums it up.)

Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #38
jsimonson0
Full Fledged Farker

Part of me says no, I still have lots to learn. Part of me remembers that I know how many split logs it takes to get the SKD up to 225-250*, and when to move them around to crank the temps up to almost 300 for smoked chicken.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #39
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

Im not even master of my own domain.

Like someone already stated, im a pyro, with a love for cooking, i love toys, tools, and smoked meat. Q combines all of this, keeps me busy, and pleases my small crowd.

It is my addiction, well, that and budweiser. See, life is good.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #40
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Oh wait... but let's not forget about the legendary Pitmaster T.

he is the real deal.... just a freak of nature... I heard a rumor about him once that he just slapped a pork butt with his pimp hand and it got so hot, the bone pulled out and it was done....

That wasn't his hand!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #41
Wampus

I'd have a hard time claiming the title because I'm always still learning, but I do feel that the term Pitmaster means that one not only know their specific pit, but that they understand the CONCEPT of cooking with fire and smoke and can adapt quickly to any circumstances.

In the relatively short time that I've had the BBQ addiction, I've personally cooked on an ECB, several UDS's, multiple Weber kettles, an upright stickburner, a Jambo, a CTO, kamado style cookers, WSMs, an Orion Cooker and a couple of other diffferent styles of stick burners. I've not done it all, but I truly believe that you could throw me a bag of coal or stack of wood, any smoker and a piece of meat and I could make it happen. Not to say I couldn't screw it up, but I just don't get too intimidated. I've cooked in all kinds of weather and have adapted.

So if the skill of adaptation and knowledge of the BBQ process is what it takes to be a pitmaster, then perhaps I am.

What I DO know is that my ribs beat out both Harbormaster and Chambers on a smoker that was NOT mine and both of THEM owned.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #42
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I consider myself a pit-wrangler.

Lets face it, the fire does all the hard work. It has to sit there all day at 250-350* and not complain. It has to smoke for a couple hours straight, while we sit back and sip our Beam and Cokes and occasionally adjust the damper that controls how much the hot fella is allowed to breathe. Then when the Q is ready, we take it in, claim we made it , eat it, then turn around and dump the ash that was once the mighty fire into the compost pile or the yard waste can. It takes a lot of wranglin' to get that fire to do all of that!!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #43
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I don't know who you are. But I do know what the people want. If you are looking for credentials on paper, I can tell you I don't have many awards. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over many years of tending fires. Skills that make me a pitmaster to people like you. If you learn fire management, that'll be the jest of it all. I will not seek out recognition, I will not say I’am. But if you don't believe in your capabilities on a pit, I will say a pitmaster you are not, I will find a location, set up shop and the people will see the pitmaster I am.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #44
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Nope, because i can make pretty good brisket most of the time (but not everytime).

However, i might be a beermaster . . .

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #45
otterpop
Full Fledged Farker

Got a cooking merit badge in Troop 188 Cobra Patrol back in '73, learned to stay warm without burning too much wood as a Ski bum, and cooked riverside for rafting groups on open flame and Dutch ovens in the 80's, but learned a lot in college cooking chickens, chickens and more chickens on a WGA my then girlfriend had back then.
It's more of a journey or voyage than a destination isn't it? Cooking low and slow on a UDS you built yourself? Making your own rubs and sauces?

Learning never ends...
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote