MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Ringburner
Full Fledged Farker

Default Foodsaver - Keeping & reheating

Hi all

Just took delivery of a foodsaver 420. It's the small modell, my Mrs says I can't have any more bulky appliances in the kitchen :(

Does anyone else seal and freeze left-over Q?

Should I slice/pull it PRIOR to sealing/freezing or should I leave it as one "lump"?

I'm wondering how long it can keep in the freezer WITHOUT freezer burn/spoiling? Does sealing it really give it a longer life in the freezer?

Also once I've thawed it out, what's the best way to re-heat?
I work in Emergency Services and I'd like to be able to take Q to work for my dinner, I've tried microwaving Brisket and it TOTALLY RUINED it!!
I'm totally SICK of eating TV dinners/salads at work......

Cheers
Ringburner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringburner View Post
Hi all

Just took delivery of a foodsaver 420. It's the small modell, my Mrs says I can't have any more bulky appliances in the kitchen :(

Should I slice/pull it PRIOR to sealing/freezing or should I leave it as one "lump"?

I'm wondering how long it can keep in the freezer WITHOUT freezer burn/spoiling? Does sealing it really give it a longer life in the freezer?

I work in Emergency Services and I'd like to be able to take Q to work for my dinner, I've tried microwaving Brisket and it TOTALLY RUINED it!!
I'm totally SICK of eating TV dinners/salads at work......

Cheers

I have dropped a small FoodSaver bag of brisket, maybe half pound or so, into boiling water, left it in there for about twenty minutes or so and sliced bag open and poured onto plate, just about as good as the day it was smoked.
kurtsara is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

I have kept vacum sealed pulled pork and brisket for a couple of years in the freezer. Simmer for 30 min is the best but I routinely thaw sealed meat in cold water and heat the unopened bag in a microwave.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Hi all

Many of us seal and freeze BBQ on a regular basis.

Quote:
Package it the way you want to eat it when it is reheated. For pulled pork - pull it, for sliced pork sandwiches -slice

Quote:
As long as it it vac sealed the instruction say it will last for up to 2 years. It has a longer freezer life because there is no air or room for the water to crystallize and dry the meat out. I have had food almost a year and it is always great and flavorful.

Quote:
Into a container of boiling water and let it slowly come to temperature.

You will enjoy the vac sealed food once you get the hang of it...

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I vacuum seal, freeze and reheat BBQ all the time. Leftovers from competitions get vacuum sealed and frozen. I pull my pork & chicken, slice brisket and ribs before I vacuum seal them and reheat by simply placing the bags in hot water until they are hot enough where I can't handle them (usually about 10-15 minutes).

Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
PlanB-BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i pull and vac. thaw and simmer in water for 30 mins. It's always good.
PlanB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I just ordered 200 pint bags and 100 quart bags. Just me and the wife usually. I seal pulled pork and brisket in weighed out 1/2 pound servings. Makes it fantasticly easy to make pulled pork tacos during the week. I seal up 1# bag using the quart bags for friends and family. They love them.

But, my wife has a rule that i can't have left overs in the freezer and do more for just us. So, mine gets eaten within a month or so. I think one bag got lost for 6 months and was perfect when unsealed.

Love my foodsaver - both of them. :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
glh17
Full Fledged Farker

Foodsavers are great. I use it for leftover Q as well as freezing raw meat and veggies (anything you'd freeze in ziplocks). I've had mine about a year and no problems. Just make sure you read the instructions and get a good vacuum seal. I've had to reseal a couple of times. I agree with what's been said above.
glh17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
richardnoodle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just bought a food saver and cant wait to try the boiling method.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

Just be sure it's a low boil. More like simmer.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

/\ /\ /\ what they said, and I have found that if you chill or freeze the meat first, it will vacuum easier without pulling the moisture out of the meat, and it will keep the sealing edge cleaner while pulling the vacuum. Also, I have found, that if you seal it twice, it will keep better.

Just a couple of things I found that help.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Does it matter what brand of bags you use for "boiling" reheating? I generally buy what ever is cheapest on ebay.

My wife has friends that love my Q and always ask how to reheat it. Ive always just told them to thaw and crockpot it. This seems like a much better way.

Sal
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote